The Fractal Design Newton R3 comes with a cable for just about everything you'd want and need. The only thing that I'm not much of a fan of is that two of the PCI-E cables are natively wired and I would like to see that only one of them be this way. It is my experience that most users of 700W-800W power supplies only have a single GPU in their system, so that leaves an unnecessary cable just hanging inside the PC. Other than that, there isn't anything to complain about.
Rail distribution is as simple as it gets with a single 12V rail. There is no need to worry about load balancing here.
A Look Inside
Plenty of passive cooling is present with a layout that isn't overly crowded. There are also some green and gold capacitors in the top left which doesn't look good for that claim of 100% Japanese capacitors on the back of the back of the box.
A pair of Nippon Chemi-Con bulk capacitors sit on the primary side of the power supply.
The secondary side is littered with a bunch of Teapo caps. This is the first time that we've caught someone stating that their units featured 100% Japanese capacitors and it didn't, so we certainly aren't happy about this at all.
Fractal Design uses their own 140mm fan to provide the active cooling for the Newton R3 800W power supply and it is rubber mounted to help reduce noise from vibrations.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- Official Statement
First and foremost, Fractal Design has not intentionally tried to deceive or mislead our customers. In good faith, we have specified the Newton R3 to have 100% Japanese capacitors. Unfortunately during the production process, some of the Japanese capacitors were replaced with Taiwanese capacitors without our knowledge. As we have learned, the switch came about due to the fact that the Japanese capacitor manufacturer did not offer capacitors with the specifications called for in their standard range. This is something that only recently came to our attention and we have therefore taken immediate action to change the marketing material so that it matches the actual product. We would like to highlight that we, Fractal Design, take full responsibility for this and do not push blame onto our manufacturers. It is our personal responsibility to deliver products as per the correct specification.
In the face of the recent oversight, we still confidently stand behind our products, their design and quality. Like many other premium manufacturers, the Newton R3 partially includes Taiwanese capacitors. Previously, Taiwanese capacitors have been labelled as a lower quality part, however, currently, they are regarded to be higher quality, in both performance and longevity. There are often other factors that contribute to the failure of a power supply. We believe that our products are of high quality, not only in performance, but also in terms of reliability and durability. We would not dare offer a 5 year guarantee if we did not have full confidence in our product performance.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Some iPhone 6S handsets are running so hot they are shutting down
- Roku 4 announced, has 4K support, remote finder and much more
- Tesla founder deletes his tweet that hinted towards 'Model Y' vehicle
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio