MSI's GEFORCE GTX 660 Twin Frozr video card is no doubt more impressive than the reference clocked version thanks to the overclock that MSI offers. Alongside that the Twin Frozr III cooler as always does a fantastic job and we can see some excellent cooling numbers that are achieved at low noise level.
Moving onto the bundle we don't have a whole lot going on like most video cards these days. Apart from the typical line up of paperwork, we've just got a single DVI to VGA connector and a Dual-Molex to 6-pin PCIe power connector.
When it comes to performance you can see that the overclock from MSI really does help separate the GTX 660 a little more against some of the other models on the market. We often see it close the gap or come out ahead of the GTX 580 which was of course the last generation top dog from NVIDIA. You'll be fine with most games at 1920 x 1200, but it struggled many times at 2560 x 1600.
On the AMD side of things we also see the overclock help extend the lead against the HD 7870. Of course, it's worth remembering that the HD 7870 we're using here is just running at the reference clock speeds. Considering we saw the GTX 660 reference card perform so close to the HD 7870 reference card, we'd expect an overclocked offering to consistently manage to sneak ahead.
Overall, though, our impression on the GTX 660 hasn't changed with the retail version from MSI. It's a good model and MSI offer us a nice variant that runs cool and quiet. Performance is slightly up thanks to the modest factory overclock that is on offer, but remember AMD also have the same options when it comes to the Radeon HD 7870.
If you're going to go down the path of a GTX 660, the MSI version is one that you're no doubt going to be looking at. If you've used the Twin Frozr series of video cards before, you'll already know how well they perform.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi Mi Max 2 unveiled: Big screen, 5,300 mAh battery
- AMD trademarks Kyzen, Aragon, Promethean & CoreAmp
- Oukitel announces K10000 Pro with 10,000 mAh battery
- ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini is super-small, powerful
- Sony to launch two new Xperia flagship devices this year
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Benchmarked: CPU & GPU War
- NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)
- Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced Remote Control Review
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017