Power Draw Tests
Power draw is something we brought up a fair bit in our original launch article and the new X79 platform is indeed a power hungry beast. The good news is, though, that when we move to 4.37GHz, power draw is boosted only slightly. For people looking at an everyday machine, this isn't too bad considering the performance a machine of this specification puts out.
You can see when we move to 5GHz, though, and all our voltages start to head north, there's quite a big increase in overall power draw. 533Watt under load really is a lot for just a single video card. We're not worried, but with an idle of 267 Watt as well, there's no denying that this is a power hungry system.
The heat side of things is the other bit that was brought up a bit - it's just natural that with something that draws this much power, there's going to be decent heat that goes along with it. That 4.37GHz mark really seems to be the sweet spot, though. We can see that idle temp remains unchanged and at load we're only coming in at 64c which is pretty easy to swallow.
Moving up to 5GHz, though, brings with it a 20% increase in idle temp and a big 26c jump in load temperature. It's not too bad - we see the 2600k when at 5.2GHz get around the 75 - 80c mark, but like our 2600k, these probably aren't numbers you want to be hitting every day.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel's unreleased 18-core Xeon CPU hits eBay for $999
- In case you missed it. ARK: Survival Evolved updated on Xbox One
- Twitch users spent 241 billion minutes watching games in 2015
- Samsung's huge 18.4-inch Galaxy View tablet drops to $449.99
- Google possibly making all-in-one, self-powered VR headset
- OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Any advice on redeeming Asus Promotions?
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives