Power Draw Tests
Power draw is something we brought up a fair bit in our original launch article and the new X79 platform is indeed a power hungry beast. The good news is, though, that when we move to 4.37GHz, power draw is boosted only slightly. For people looking at an everyday machine, this isn't too bad considering the performance a machine of this specification puts out.
You can see when we move to 5GHz, though, and all our voltages start to head north, there's quite a big increase in overall power draw. 533Watt under load really is a lot for just a single video card. We're not worried, but with an idle of 267 Watt as well, there's no denying that this is a power hungry system.
The heat side of things is the other bit that was brought up a bit - it's just natural that with something that draws this much power, there's going to be decent heat that goes along with it. That 4.37GHz mark really seems to be the sweet spot, though. We can see that idle temp remains unchanged and at load we're only coming in at 64c which is pretty easy to swallow.
Moving up to 5GHz, though, brings with it a 20% increase in idle temp and a big 26c jump in load temperature. It's not too bad - we see the 2600k when at 5.2GHz get around the 75 - 80c mark, but like our 2600k, these probably aren't numbers you want to be hitting every day.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- Just Cause 3's map is huge, covering 400 square miles
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis