Specifications, Pricing and Availability
I'm not going to hammer you too hard today on specifications and technical achievements, since this is a refresher course. The Vertex 3 uses the SandForce SF-2281 controller, the consumer version of the SF-2500 enterprise controller. To date, there have been challenges from Marvell in the form of the Intel 510 Series, Crucial m4 and Corsair Performance 3, but none of those products are even in the running this year for the high performance title. To put it simply, SandForce has zero competition at the high end and that means the only alternative to the Vertex 3 will be other OCZ products with the controller and 'Team SandForce' products from other manufacturers.
The Vertex 3 is already on retail and e-tail shelves sporting capacities of 120GB, 240GB and a massive 480GB drive. The MSRP of the 240GB model is 499.99, but the best we could find online is at our good friends at Newegg - $529.99. At one point we couldn't find a 240GB Vertex 3 240GB for less than 575 USD, so the e-tailers are starting to get their act together, but at this time they are still charging a premium for drives with the fastest SSD controller we've ever seen.
Speaking of speed, the 240GB model is the fastest of the original Vertex 3 drives with a 520MB/s write speed. The 120GB model is 'only' 500MB/s write speed and the 480GB drive can write at 430MB/s. The read speed of the 240GB matches the 120GB with 550MB/s, an insane read speed that nearly doubles last year's award winning Vertex 2.
Several companies are going to offer SF-2281 controlled products and a few will end up with better price points when they finally get to market. OCZ is going to be very active with pricing to combat competing products, but before others can even get a chance to get on the field, OCZ is swinging for the fences with their accessory package. The Vertex 3 ships with a standard 3 year warranty, so you have some long term guarantees from the company, but desktop users will find the included desktop adapter bracket useful from the start. OCZ also includes mounting screws so you don't have to dig through your desk to get up and running. The only competing SF-2000 Series consumer drive comes from OWC and it doesn't include the adapter bracket; the accessory that I think all SSDs should ship with standard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OCZ Vertex 3 240GB]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New 4K Xbox Scorpio targeting 6TFLOPs, 1.5 times faster than PS4K
- E3 site lists Xbox One VR category with Oculus Rift devs attached
- New 4K Xbox to support Oculus Rift VR headset
- GeIL reveals new EVO FORZA DDR4 3866MHz RAM
- Tesoro teases new IR key switches for Computex
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- GeIL announces new EVO FORZA DDR4 hardcore gaming memory
- Tesoro to showcase new infrared key switch at Computex 2016
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards