The OCZ Vertex 3 120GB is a magnificent product no matter how you look at it. OCZ has been making great SSDs for a long time now and the Vertex 3 has allowed the company to standardize perfection. The price of the Vertex 3 120GB should be around 250 USD. We are not seeing that price yet, but that is the MSRP. When the Vertex 2 120GB launched it sold for around 450 USD just one year ago. OCZ is getting very aggressive with pricing and to be honest it is almost unbelievable just how low the cost of ownership is for the performance achieved.
Speaking of performance, really what more can you ask for? SATA III (6Gb/s) is just now hitting its stride with the Intel P67 chipset, but the Vertex 3 is already coming very close to hitting the limits of SATA 6G today. This is unprecedented; at no time before has a product been able to use such a large percentage of its bus so quickly. I really hope they get SATA 12G ready for 2012, because we are going to need it. The OCZ Vertex 3 is already achieving the advertised read speed of 550MB/s read and 500MB/s write on its first public firmware. Who knows what will happen as time passes and more optimizations are added.
When it comes to competing products, OCZ Technology is still sitting in a very good place. At this time the only competitor with a SandForce SF-2281 is Other World Computing. Recently we looked at the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 120GB drive and today compared the performance between these two next generation 120GB SATA 6G SandForce drives and the OCZ Vertex 3 came out on top performance wise in many of the tests by a small margin. Honestly, you are not going to see a few MB/s here or there when pushing performance to these levels. If you can feel that performance difference, then come and take my place on the stage. Where you are going to see a difference between the Vertex 3 and the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is price, availability and accessory package add-ons.
The OCZ Vertex 3 comes with a desktop adapter bracket that makes installing your Vertex 3 in a desktop much easier. It's way nice to have your 2.5" SSD securely locked into a desktop, I know; I have machines with drives loose in the bottom and desktops with drives secured in place. Guess which ones I have to check on after moving the systems around for cleaning...The desktop adapter bracket is the way to go.
Next, we have the pricing differences as well as availability. The OWC drive is only available at Macsales.com and costs (at the time of writing) 319.99 USD. The OWC site says that it ships in 5 days. The OCZ Vertex 3 is available at several e-tail locations. Newegg lists them in stock for 299.99 and the drive will ship out the same or next day. A quick search on Pricegrabber showed several results for the Vertex 3 as well. Before too long these drives will be all over the place, including local brick and mortar shops like Fry's and Microcenter.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 3]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Nexus 6P and 5X unboxing videos surface
- VR games will be quality over quantity, says Epic Games CEO
- Capcom's Resident Evil 7 could be in VR
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1 keys can now activate Windows 10
- Xbox Wireless adapter lets you use Xbox One controller on Windows 10
- H97M - Gaming 3 stuck at "Entering setup
- Cougar 550M Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- Can't overclock i7-5775C
- Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta GPU Performance Overview
- ASUS ZenBook Pro - ram
- MSI Launches the Nightblade X2 and MI2 Gaming Desktops
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the NEW CRONOS AD Premium Gaming Headset
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD