Based in White City, Oregon, Smooth Creations sells built-to-order gaming PCs and is known for their high-quality custom paint jobs. The company hooked us up with an HD 5970-equipped, Phenom II X6 based system with a custom "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" paint scheme.
Let's take a look.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
All Smooth Creations systems are built-to-order and available only through smoothcreations.com. The company is, in the full sense of the term, a custom builder. Although the company's website showcases a few models and offers several options on the configuration pages, the company seems to prefer you call them up and talk to one of their reps to discuss options for a new system. One of the main selling points for the company's systems is the free custom case paint, and it probably is in the customer's best interest to discuss what is and isn't feasible in that regard with an actual person.
The website also emphasizes that Smooth Creation's chassis' are meant to last well beyond a single hardware-obsolescence cycle. When you're ready for a new computer, send your chassis back to the company for a free interior cleaning and a buff and polish of the artwork. Then they'll build a new system to your specs in your existing chassis.
While that might at first seem a bit gimmicky, take a look at the custom chassis' Smooth Creations offers, and you'll soon recognize that they are works of art unto themselves. These aren't just off-the-shelf cases with a coat of auto paint on them. They're functional art designed by an in-house team of artists and engineers.
Built on an ASUS Crosshair IV motherboard, the system packs an AMD 1090T overclocked to 4.0GHz (up from the stock 3.2GHz), and a Corsair H50 liquid cooler keeps the processor in its thermal comfort zone. ATI's flagship 5970 2GB provides graphics processing.
Smooth Creations classifies this as a "mid-range" system, and based on other configurations they offer we can see why the company considers it as such. However, compared to most of the machines we've seen recently, we would probably put this in the "upper mid-range" category, if not "high-end." We expect to see some pretty serious gaming performance from this system.
The rest of the hardware compliment includes 8GB of Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM, a Lite-On DVD burner, and a Coolermaster 1000 watt power supply. The storage subsystem consists of a 128GB Western Digital Silicon Edge SSD and a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green 7200RPM drive.
As configured, this system goes for approximately $3150 USD as of October 2010.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ASUS unveils a Windows 10-powered PC-on-a-stick with the new VivoStick
- You can now download Epic's awesome 'Showdown' VR experience
- PS4 v3.0 firmware includes YouTube Gaming support, more cloud storage
- Your daily WTF: Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 is a real game
- Acer announces new Predator Gaming Series monitors with NVIDIA G-SYNC
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015