When it comes to SSD controllers, JMicron doesn't have the best reputation. The first affordable, consumer focused SSDs were built using controllers from JMicron and set the industry back just as it was starting to take off. Those cacheless drives eventually evolved into drives with DRAM cache, but even those second generation drives would skip and stu, stuu, stutter as soon as the DRAM buffer was full. By the time JMicron was ready to release their next controller, manufacturers weren't too excited about co-branding their products with JMicron and some went as far as to hide what controller was used in their budget products.
To be fair, we have yet to see a truly perfect SSD controller. Intel, Indilinx, Marvell and SandForce all had little issues that when ran across would drive you a bit crazy. When buying a SSD you want to look for the drive that best suits your needs and data usage scenarios. For the most part JMicron drives have only fit one category, low price.
The latest update to the long line of relatively unpopular controllers from JMicron is the new JMF616. The 616 uses twice the cache capacity found on the JMF612 and allows the controller to be used with the latest available Intel NAND flash.
The ADATA S596 Turbo is the first SSD to use the new JMF616 controller and today we are going to give the drive a run through.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Harrison Ford has seen 'Force Awakens' final cut
- Nintendo's 'Mario Kart' eSports show coming to DisneyXD channel
- MSI Z170A Krait motherboard includes Rainbow Six Siege, new design
- GeForce 359.06 driver prepares you for Just Cause 3, Rainbow Six Siege
- Chrome Data Saver mode now reduces data usage up to 70%
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Nokia Technologies announces commercial availability of OZO virtual reality camera
- SingEx Exhibitions Expands Footprint in China with Partnership to Launch IoT China
- IGEL UDC2 now converts enterprise-class Dell Wyse thin clients
- Technology and Innovation Key to Cost Reduction and Capital Efficiency as Companies Strive to Meet Future Energy Demand, IHS Says
- Patriot Introduces 128GB Compact USB Flash Drives for Optimal Portable Storage Solutions