While DDR3 has been touted by Intel to be the memory of choice for the Intel platform, Intel still hasn't given up on DDR2 which is pretty evident in their last three major chipsets. P35, X38 and X48 chipsets all have dual band memory controllers in them, that being they can support either DDR2 or DDR3 memory, depending on what the motherboard manufacturer decides to support. Some have placed both DDR2 and DDR3 slots on their boards for easier upgradability; this helps users who want the latest chipset motherboard but don't want to change their memory right away.
DDR2 is still a big player with all the big names still whipping out newer and faster modules based around the DDR2 standard; this is because of a two-prong attack. First is Intel's continuing support for DDR2 on its high-end chipsets, and secondly AMD's reliance on DDR2 for its AM2 and AM2+ based CPUs. Since AMD can't change memory standards like Intel can by simply changing a chipset, AMD's own CPU memory controller makes it a lot harder to simply swap standards, which has been the biggest problem with AMD's on-chip memory controller.
DDR2 is still kicking, and today we have a new kit from Patriot memory who have come through with a bang in the last six months with new modules hitting the shelves. We have been given their latest PC2-6400 4GB kit with low latency timings on offer. How does it fair compared to our tried and true Geil modules? Let's move on and see.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Dark Souls 3 Ringed City DLC coming March 28
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' gets officially titled
- Nintendo Switch replaces Wii U on Nintendo homesite
- Mass Effect: Andromeda 10-hour demo coming to EA Access
- Samsung's Note line isn't dead: Note 8 is coming
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- Tekken 7 launches on June 2, 2017 in the Americas
- The end of the world awaits in Dark Souls III: The Ringed City
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM