While DDR3 has been touted by Intel to be the memory of choice for the Intel platform, Intel still hasn't given up on DDR2 which is pretty evident in their last three major chipsets. P35, X38 and X48 chipsets all have dual band memory controllers in them, that being they can support either DDR2 or DDR3 memory, depending on what the motherboard manufacturer decides to support. Some have placed both DDR2 and DDR3 slots on their boards for easier upgradability; this helps users who want the latest chipset motherboard but don't want to change their memory right away.
DDR2 is still a big player with all the big names still whipping out newer and faster modules based around the DDR2 standard; this is because of a two-prong attack. First is Intel's continuing support for DDR2 on its high-end chipsets, and secondly AMD's reliance on DDR2 for its AM2 and AM2+ based CPUs. Since AMD can't change memory standards like Intel can by simply changing a chipset, AMD's own CPU memory controller makes it a lot harder to simply swap standards, which has been the biggest problem with AMD's on-chip memory controller.
DDR2 is still kicking, and today we have a new kit from Patriot memory who have come through with a bang in the last six months with new modules hitting the shelves. We have been given their latest PC2-6400 4GB kit with low latency timings on offer. How does it fair compared to our tried and true Geil modules? Let's move on and see.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Enter our out-of-this-world 'Valerian' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Intel's new XMM 7660 LTE modem: 1.6Gbps speeds on your phone
- Skyrim on Switch runs at native 900p resolution while docked
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ