There certainly is no doubt that cloud storage has been a big sell for many storage companies. Over the past year, we have seen many newcomers to the market with those that have firmly held a footing since the beginning.
As such, we now have quite a few cloud storage solutions available ranging from OS included SkyDrive from Microsoft to iCloud on Apple devices. In addition, there are many web based solutions such as Box, Dropbox, Amazon Cloud, Google Drive, Media Fire, and Mega - you get the point the list can go on quite literally forever. The one downfall to all these services is there a point where data storage no longer is free, and that happens to range from 2GB to 7GB depending on the service.
For those of us that own and use a NAS appliance, we have had the luxury of having our own private storage for many years. Even before the cloud movement, you could setup a private FTP server on your appliance and upload/download, as you wish, on the go or at home. Though, with this movement, things have become more mainstream with the addition of applications for your smartphone, tablet and PC in some cases.
Today, in this article, I will attempt to outline some of the unique features of the QNAP network appliances, and touch on some of the unique and useful apps that come along with it.
If you're ready to build your own cloud solution, read on.
Latest News Posts
- Social media being used to help identify Islamic extremism
- Barnes & Noble is keeping the NOOK Media digital business, for now
- NPD: Mobile gaming grew 20 percent in 2014, creating opportunities
- Intel to reclassify Atom processors with Atom x3, Atom x5 and Atom x7
- LG's unveils Watch Urbane LTE, lets you make calls from your wrist
- USB Devices go unrecognized AM3+ Extreme 3 990fx
- Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
- GALAX GeForce GTX 960 EXOC Video Card Review
- Intermittent hardware problem: CLR CMOS - Dr. Debug 67
- HIS Multi-View HDOCKP USB 3.0 Portable Docking Station Review
- Charter Communications Says Net Neutrality Will Slow Broadband Growth and Mean Higher Fees
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse