While AMD promise us some changes, we unfortunately don't see them here today in our benchmark line up which is a little disappointing. We only have so much time to do our testing, though, and there's always such a variance in the games that are concentrated on when it comes to adding more performance.
As we mentioned in the introduction, if you experience a boost in some games, or even a drop, make sure you drop us a line below in the comments so other readers can see what they should be expecting.
Outside of the performance promises, though, we've got some feature improvements which include some changes to overdrive. As you saw on the first page, AMD have added the ability to also overclock your CPU via the Catalyst Control Center. Before you think you will jump in now, though, and overclock your 2600k, it's worth noting that the feature is of course not only limited to AMD CPUs, but also Black Edition versions.
While a little limited with what can be done here, it's a good move and I think we'll see the Catalyst Control Center become more and more useful as time goes on. With the introduction of the new Bulldozer platform, the push to put people in the CCC more is going to be a good thing.
Again, while we don't see the performance boost today, the new Catalyst 11.8 set looks to be a good one. Outside of the performance improvements and the new CCC features, there's also going to be the normal array of bug fixes and if you've been having trouble with a previous driver set, it's worth checking out the release notes.
To be honest, though, I think that a lot of people would already be on the 11.8 Beta and if that's running fine, you could well skip the official WHQL version and just see what the 11.9 series will bring out next month which will mark the end of Q3.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Release Note Highlights]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and Overclock]
- Page 3 [3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen CPU combo with Corsair AIO cooler on Amazon
- Samsung's Galaxy S8+ sports huge 6.2-inch display
- Samsung's new Exynos 9 chip: 4K 120FPS camera tech
- The latest photos and details on AMD Radeon Vega
- AMD reboots itself with Ryzen, and Vega is next
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood