While AMD promise us some changes, we unfortunately don't see them here today in our benchmark line up which is a little disappointing. We only have so much time to do our testing, though, and there's always such a variance in the games that are concentrated on when it comes to adding more performance.
As we mentioned in the introduction, if you experience a boost in some games, or even a drop, make sure you drop us a line below in the comments so other readers can see what they should be expecting.
Outside of the performance promises, though, we've got some feature improvements which include some changes to overdrive. As you saw on the first page, AMD have added the ability to also overclock your CPU via the Catalyst Control Center. Before you think you will jump in now, though, and overclock your 2600k, it's worth noting that the feature is of course not only limited to AMD CPUs, but also Black Edition versions.
While a little limited with what can be done here, it's a good move and I think we'll see the Catalyst Control Center become more and more useful as time goes on. With the introduction of the new Bulldozer platform, the push to put people in the CCC more is going to be a good thing.
Again, while we don't see the performance boost today, the new Catalyst 11.8 set looks to be a good one. Outside of the performance improvements and the new CCC features, there's also going to be the normal array of bug fixes and if you've been having trouble with a previous driver set, it's worth checking out the release notes.
To be honest, though, I think that a lot of people would already be on the 11.8 Beta and if that's running fine, you could well skip the official WHQL version and just see what the 11.9 series will bring out next month which will mark the end of Q3.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Release Note Highlights]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and Overclock]
- Page 3 [3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Netflix increases its $8.99 per month plan to $9.99 per month
- 'Furious 8' finally lands a director
- NVIDIA rumored to discontinue the 2GB version of the GeForce GTX 960
- Amazon's WWII alternate reality series is chilling
- Halo 5 has gone gold, campaign clocks in at between 8-12 hours
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- D-Link DCH-S160 mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Home Water Sensor Review
- ga-z170x-UD5 m.2 raid and intel rst drivers will not let me install windows to the raid
- X99 Extreme 4 and Thunderbolt
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent