While AMD promise us some changes, we unfortunately don't see them here today in our benchmark line up which is a little disappointing. We only have so much time to do our testing, though, and there's always such a variance in the games that are concentrated on when it comes to adding more performance.
As we mentioned in the introduction, if you experience a boost in some games, or even a drop, make sure you drop us a line below in the comments so other readers can see what they should be expecting.
Outside of the performance promises, though, we've got some feature improvements which include some changes to overdrive. As you saw on the first page, AMD have added the ability to also overclock your CPU via the Catalyst Control Center. Before you think you will jump in now, though, and overclock your 2600k, it's worth noting that the feature is of course not only limited to AMD CPUs, but also Black Edition versions.
While a little limited with what can be done here, it's a good move and I think we'll see the Catalyst Control Center become more and more useful as time goes on. With the introduction of the new Bulldozer platform, the push to put people in the CCC more is going to be a good thing.
Again, while we don't see the performance boost today, the new Catalyst 11.8 set looks to be a good one. Outside of the performance improvements and the new CCC features, there's also going to be the normal array of bug fixes and if you've been having trouble with a previous driver set, it's worth checking out the release notes.
To be honest, though, I think that a lot of people would already be on the 11.8 Beta and if that's running fine, you could well skip the official WHQL version and just see what the 11.9 series will bring out next month which will mark the end of Q3.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Release Note Highlights]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and Overclock]
- Page 3 [3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm unveils Snapdragon 450
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro 2 specs leak: Dual camera, 3GB of RAM
- New leak confirms Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 design
- SAPPHIRE announces 'Mining Edition' Radeon RX cards
- Huawei Honor 9 is now available in Europe
- BIOSTAR X370GTN Gaming Motherboard Review
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller