The new Catalyst 11.6 driver from AMD was a lot better than I thought it would be. I thought much like the 11.5 driver we'd have some bug fixes and not much else. Along with some new features that help improve your videos by fixing camera shake, we've got some awesome performance improvements with the HD 6000 series cards.
Getting a bit more specific on the improvements, it's clear that they seem to mainly benefit the HD 6000 cards. While we did see some gains for the HD 5870, for the most part they weren't as strong as the gains we saw from the HD 6970, but probably more so the HD 6870 which sees some really good gains and sees the FPS pop into that 60 FPS realm that we like to see.
Outside of what we've just seen here today, users are already reporting increased stability with games that were having issues last month along with more performance. Normally when we see such a major driver like the 11.4 it takes months before we see something that comes close to wowing us, but this is a fantastic driver that has come just two months after the much loved 11.4 suite.
For the most part I can't see a reason not to move to the latest version. It's getting positive feedback from us and it seems that a lot of users who have jumped straight on them are also happy with them.
So with that all said and done, let's leave it at that and see what the next Catalyst set brings us in July as we hit the second half of the year.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, a very slick mobo for Ryzen
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600X costs $260, offers Intel perf. at $617
- Early Nintendo Switch consoles were actually stolen
- Why Nier: Automata isn't coming to Xbox One
- Grand Theft Auto movie or TV show could happen
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- Looking for help overclocking a GA-EP43-UD3L
- I5 6600k OC settings.. aorus z270
- ASUS K55VM (LAPTOP A55VM) can't control fan speed for myself
- First ever CPU overclock - is this ok?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Republic of Gamers announces Strix Impact