The new Catalyst 11.6 driver from AMD was a lot better than I thought it would be. I thought much like the 11.5 driver we'd have some bug fixes and not much else. Along with some new features that help improve your videos by fixing camera shake, we've got some awesome performance improvements with the HD 6000 series cards.
Getting a bit more specific on the improvements, it's clear that they seem to mainly benefit the HD 6000 cards. While we did see some gains for the HD 5870, for the most part they weren't as strong as the gains we saw from the HD 6970, but probably more so the HD 6870 which sees some really good gains and sees the FPS pop into that 60 FPS realm that we like to see.
Outside of what we've just seen here today, users are already reporting increased stability with games that were having issues last month along with more performance. Normally when we see such a major driver like the 11.4 it takes months before we see something that comes close to wowing us, but this is a fantastic driver that has come just two months after the much loved 11.4 suite.
For the most part I can't see a reason not to move to the latest version. It's getting positive feedback from us and it seems that a lot of users who have jumped straight on them are also happy with them.
So with that all said and done, let's leave it at that and see what the next Catalyst set brings us in July as we hit the second half of the year.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Right of Reply
We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Further Reading: Read and find more Software content at our Software reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- Social media being used to help identify Islamic extremism
- Barnes & Noble is keeping the NOOK Media digital business, for now
- NPD: Mobile gaming grew 20 percent in 2014, creating opportunities
- Intel to reclassify Atom processors with Atom x3, Atom x5 and Atom x7
- LG's unveils Watch Urbane LTE, lets you make calls from your wrist
- GALAX GeForce GTX 960 EXOC Video Card Review
- Intermittent hardware problem: CLR CMOS - Dr. Debug 67
- HIS Multi-View HDOCKP USB 3.0 Portable Docking Station Review
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- Charter Communications Says Net Neutrality Will Slow Broadband Growth and Mean Higher Fees
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse