The new Catalyst 11.6 driver from AMD was a lot better than I thought it would be. I thought much like the 11.5 driver we'd have some bug fixes and not much else. Along with some new features that help improve your videos by fixing camera shake, we've got some awesome performance improvements with the HD 6000 series cards.
Getting a bit more specific on the improvements, it's clear that they seem to mainly benefit the HD 6000 cards. While we did see some gains for the HD 5870, for the most part they weren't as strong as the gains we saw from the HD 6970, but probably more so the HD 6870 which sees some really good gains and sees the FPS pop into that 60 FPS realm that we like to see.
Outside of what we've just seen here today, users are already reporting increased stability with games that were having issues last month along with more performance. Normally when we see such a major driver like the 11.4 it takes months before we see something that comes close to wowing us, but this is a fantastic driver that has come just two months after the much loved 11.4 suite.
For the most part I can't see a reason not to move to the latest version. It's getting positive feedback from us and it seems that a lot of users who have jumped straight on them are also happy with them.
So with that all said and done, let's leave it at that and see what the next Catalyst set brings us in July as we hit the second half of the year.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gamestop: we'll be chasing Switch supply this whole year
- Samsung store catches fire ahead of the Galaxy S8 launch
- Nintendo Switch cartridge advantage killed by Lego game
- Apple veteran leaves for Oculus, will run VR hardware
- Razer servers fail again, profiles flicked to default
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- DDR3 RAM question
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design