Unless you've been living under a rock, you would know that the release of the Catalyst 11.4s has been anticipated as one of the most significant ones from AMD in many months. We've actually been using the 11.4 driver for months in the form of the HD 6990 Beta and new models that launched after the HD 6990 carried with them slightly modified versions of the 11.4.
Today, though, we've got a WHQL version and we'll of course be comparing it to the 11.3 driver which while we thought was better than the 11.2s, wasn't as much of a stand out as the 11.4 betas that we'd been using.
Before we get into the performance side of things, let's first check out what some of the new features are that AMD have implemented along with taking a closer look at the performance improvements that they're telling us we should receive.
Enhancements to the AMD VISION Engine Control Center / AMD Catalyst Control Center
New task based Display Management controls
Simplifies the configuration of displays and display settings
New Eyefinity setup group
Setting up an Eyefinity group has never been easier
AMD Catalyst update notification (found within the Information Center)
This feature notifies users that new AMD Catalyst software packages are available
GPU Compute enhancements
The OpenCL runtime (included in AMD Catalyst 11.4) includes performance enhancements supporting zero-copy on APUs and increased performance for PCIe transfers between a CPU and discrete GPU.
A number of performance enhancements are seen with the AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series and AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series:
Call of Duty Black Ops - gains of up to 15% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single GPU configurations.
Battleforge - gains of up to 15% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Batman Arkham Asylum - gains of up to 20% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Aliens vs. Predator - gains of up to 8% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Civilization 5 - gains of up to 15% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Far Cry 2 - gains of up to 6% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Just Cause 2 - gains of up to 9% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Lost Planet 2 - gains of up to 10% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The Mad Max game looks absolutely stunning in 8K
- OSVR updates its hardware, delivers 1080p 120Hz display and more
- WhatsApp is now home to 900 million users
- Toyota pledges $50 million into autonomous car research centers at MIT
- PowerColor's new dual-GPU has 16GB of VRAM, requires 1000W of power
- Gigabyte GA-170-DH3
- TP-LINK Archer C3200 Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router Review
- Does my motherbord support this RAM ?
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015