We knew it was coming because MSI had said to us the GTX 470 would get the same love as the GTX 480 when it came to adjust the voltage of the core. To many the adjustment of voltage is something that doesn't interest them, or more commonly is something that scares them.
Honestly, though, if you go online, do some research and really find discussions on overclocking, not only will you learn more about computers, but you'll find out what voltages are safe without risking the life of your hardware.
Overclocking on its own is a great way to get more performance out of a product without having to spend any more money. What the ability of adjusting voltage does is really open up the flood gates. What was an impressive overclock before with the default voltage, is nothing now compared to what you can achieve using more voltage.
With that said, there's always a risk involved when it comes to adjusting something like the voltages of any product. In doing some research, this should mean that you won't run into any problems. But of course, we can't promise that.
For now, though, we'll be looking at the GTX 470 and the latest version of Afterburner which is 1.6.0 Beta 5. While still offering the ability to adjust the core voltage on the GTX 480, this version also offers the ability to do the same on the cheaper GTX 470.
The GTX 470 hasn't had the best introduction to the world. While the noise and heat we can get past, its performance has been a bit subpar. Today hopefully that will all change.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [GTX 470 Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Further Reading: Read and find more Video Cards content at our Video Cards reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- This $70,000 customized Apple Watch is packed full of diamonds
- The FCC passes Net Neutrality, the strongest set of rules yet
- The drama llama strikes again - massive llama chase in the US unfolds
- Study: Gamers buy PlayStation 4 for graphics, Xbox One for brand
- Kaspersky: 28% of mobile users don't have knowledge of malware attacks
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard
- "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse
- Intel Revives the Atom Brand with New Branding Levels