We knew it was coming because MSI had said to us the GTX 470 would get the same love as the GTX 480 when it came to adjust the voltage of the core. To many the adjustment of voltage is something that doesn't interest them, or more commonly is something that scares them.
Honestly, though, if you go online, do some research and really find discussions on overclocking, not only will you learn more about computers, but you'll find out what voltages are safe without risking the life of your hardware.
Overclocking on its own is a great way to get more performance out of a product without having to spend any more money. What the ability of adjusting voltage does is really open up the flood gates. What was an impressive overclock before with the default voltage, is nothing now compared to what you can achieve using more voltage.
With that said, there's always a risk involved when it comes to adjusting something like the voltages of any product. In doing some research, this should mean that you won't run into any problems. But of course, we can't promise that.
For now, though, we'll be looking at the GTX 470 and the latest version of Afterburner which is 1.6.0 Beta 5. While still offering the ability to adjust the core voltage on the GTX 480, this version also offers the ability to do the same on the cheaper GTX 470.
The GTX 470 hasn't had the best introduction to the world. While the noise and heat we can get past, its performance has been a bit subpar. Today hopefully that will all change.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [GTX 470 Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.