The first thing we have to say is that the HD 4850 hated this driver, to make sure though it wasn't just a dodgy install we installed the drivers and rebooted the computer multiple times along with trying to run our benchmark programs in a different order. It wasn't just only the drop in FPS here though, at one stage Far Cry 2 would crash as we loaded it and Left 4 Dead froze half way during a test.
This isn't the first time we've seen a driver misbehave with the HD 4850, no doubts the issue will be fixed though come next month, which is what tends to happen. For the most part there isn't a whole lot to this driver, while we've got a consistent gain across the board under 3DMark Vantage the rest of the programs don't show much difference. It's not too much of a surprise though since there was nothing in the release notes about gains.
To be honest this is a pretty bad driver release from ATI and one of the worst I've ever tested. Not only are there no performance gains, but looking at the six pages of release notes, there's really very few fixes. This driver simply seemed like it was fast tracked so ATI could continue to offer the one every month deal that it has been doing for years and years.
To be completely honest though, I understand, Windows 7 is around the corner so there's no doubt that the driver team is really busy working on that. We've also got the 5800 series of video cards due out soon, which means that again the driver team are probably hard at work on that.
It seems like on the surface that the driver team put the interns on the 9.9s while the big boys and gals work hard on the 9.10s that are due out in October. Considering it's my birthday next month, I hope ATI are going to give me a good present with some kick ass performance from new and old graphics cards - hell, I don't care about old, as long as the 5800s rock I'll be happy.
Until next month happy gaming and benchmarking.
Right of Reply
We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Further Reading: Read and find more Software content at our Software reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- This $70,000 customized Apple Watch is packed full of diamonds
- The FCC passes Net Neutrality, the strongest set of rules yet
- The drama llama strikes again - massive llama chase in the US unfolds
- Study: Gamers buy PlayStation 4 for graphics, Xbox One for brand
- Kaspersky: 28% of mobile users don't have knowledge of malware attacks
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard
- "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse
- Intel Revives the Atom Brand with New Branding Levels