Lexar built a safe, and boring, product for the company's first consumer SSD under this brand. We feel the company could have done more to affect the market. There really isn't a single metric we can point to and say it was a good choice with the NM600 as a flagship model for the brand.
My ego will not let the opportunity pass to tell you what I would have brought to market to make a splash but before that, let's conclude the NM600 review.
At the current price point, the NM600 simply won't have any takers. For one, people may know the Lexar brand but don't associate it with SSDs. You have to build trust and to get early adopters you need a strong price point as bait.
Under Micron's leadership, the Lexar brand, along with everything else under Micron, was conservative. The world doesn't need another conservative SSD company to pump out cookie cutter mainstream SSDs that can only fall back on pricing to be competitive. When that product costs nearly twice what it should we really don't have to say too much more about it.
Lexar's first consumer SSD could have been much better. The company is clearly working with Silicon Motion, Inc. already because the SM2263XT powers the NM600. Lexar should have brought a drive to market with the 8-channel SM2262EN, the same controller powering the HP EX950, ADATA SX8200 Pro, and upcoming Mushkin Pilot-E.
Such a product wouldn't have been an exclusive design, but it would be one of the fastest consumer SSDs shipping today. To stand out from the other SM2262EN products, Lexar could have given shoppers a 10-year warranty, used aggressive pricing. I would have combined tactics and delivered a flagship with a standard SM2262EN 5-year warranty but allowed users to sign up for a free 5-year non-transferable extension and those that do get a free NVMe heat sink in the mail.
The Bottom Line
Too little, too early? The Lexar NM600 doesn't bring anything new to the market and in fact this hardware combination is a year too late.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA to host Reddit 'Ask Me Anything!' Aug 26th, Flat Earthers rally
- NASA's ISS upgraded, now sends/receives data at 75 megabytes a second
- The 'Lady and the Tramp' live-action remake airs on Disney+, Nov 12th
- Clickbait is real, Netflix thriller looks at dark side of social media
- President Trump wants to NUKE HURRICANES to stop them hitting the US
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best