Game Load Time
We've shown on many occasions that when you reach a certain performance and quality level, that SSDs all work through simple tasks about the same. There are other limiting factors. The way operating systems manages data is a good example. This levels the playing field by introducing a set level of latency at the start, and the drives can't do anything about it.
We see less than a second of deviation between all but one drive in our game-level load time test. That is also why we feel the pricing is such an important aspect when it comes to entry-level NVMe and mainstream SSD products.
PCMark 8 Total Storage Bandwidth
When we widen the types of workload to include a mix of short burst random, and long sequential loads with the PCMark 8 Storage Bandwidth test, result in a widening of the gap between the drives. Here we use nine applications to make ten tests. The 480GB NM600 sits in the middle of the results but trails the Crucial P1 that costs nearly half as much as the Lexar drive.
PCMark 8 Extended Storage Test
Samsung has managed to bridge the gap between workstation and mainstream SSDs with 96L TLC and improved programming for the Phoenix controller. The other drives in the PCMark 8 Extended Test with the drives filled with data have a difficult time keeping pace. The pure consumer SSDs don't fare well under heavy workloads.
With these products, you have to pay attention to the service times as well. This is a timed measurement of how long it takes to complete the workload. The results show the total time to complete the tasks. This is quite a bit different from the throughput. The NM600 doesn't perform well under heavy workloads but does manage the high-stress environment better than the HP EX900 we tested last year with similar hardware and older firmware.
SYSmark 2014 SE System Responsiveness and Power Tests
An OEM version of the Samsung 850 EVO is the baseline score of 1,000 in the BAPCo SYSmark 2014 SE Responsiveness Test. It's a drive everyone knows about, many of us owned or still own them, and it's also one of, if not the best-selling consumer SSDs of all time.
Nearly every dive in the charts today surpasses the 1,000-responsiveness point mark set by the OEM 850 EVO. The Lexar 480GB NM600 scores 1,031 points in the test. This is a strong example of technology progression since both drives are mainstream products.
Notebook Battery Life
The NM600 scored well in our BAPCo MobileMark notebook battery life test using a Lenovo Y700-17 gaming system. That's well above 5 hours on on-battery time in a system designed for performance over battery life.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Lexar NM600 Low-Cost NVMe SSD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Lexar NM600 Low-Cost NVMe SSD retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apex Legends first Battle Pass launches on March 19
- Unity teams with NVIDIA for RTX-based real-time ray tracing
- This Millennium Falcon SNES, NES console is epic
- Starfield could be the star of Bethesda's E3 2019
- Information that your Internet Service Provider stores
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- here at personate in a apologetic irregardless by recognition
- foreign wish over wit at diggings in the incite
- Project Downfall - a retro-style, cyberpunk, reflex-based shooter now available on Early Access & coming to Xbox One & Switch. Preview copies await!
- Adventure Is Around Every Corner In One Piece World Seeker
- Ancestors Legacy is now available on GOG with Cross-play integration
- Buckle Up, Buttercup: Skybound And NMC Studios' Vehicular Battle Royale Game notmycar hits Steam Early Access April 5th
- Haggle Your Way to Riches in Bargain Hunter for Nintendo Switch