MyDigitalDiscount's SBX series M.2 NVMe SSDs are much faster than any SATA SSD. To this point, the one thing SATA had in its favor was lower cost per gigabyte of storage than NVMe could offer. Now MDD's SBX is challenging SATA on the price front as well.
MDD's SBX pairs Phison's PS5008-E8 (E8) 4-channel 2-lane NVMe controller with BiCS 3 64-layer 3D flash to create a powerful yet inexpensive SSD capable of delivering performance that is up to 3X better than SATA has to offer.
MDD really made a name for themselves with their last major NVMe SSD, the MDD BPX. To this day it is still one of our all-time favorite SSDs. What made the BPX so popular was that it offered far and away the best value on the NVMe front.
MDD's SBX is following in the BPX' footsteps. Like the BPX was at the time, MDD's SBX is currently the lowest cost NVMe SSD on the market. The SBX represents the first time we've seen NVMe SSDs priced similarly to SATA.
Phison designed their E8 controlled SSDs to primarily compete with the likes of Intel's 600p Series. The SBX is designed to not only be cheaper than Intel's 600p, but at the same time deliver better performance despite being only a 2-lane device.
MDD's SBX is a Gen3 x2 NVMe SSD. Having 2-lanes instead of four like we typically see, means that the SBX is more power efficient than most 4-lane SSDs. It is also cheaper. The other side of the coin is that with only 2-lanes, the SBX doesn't deliver sequential performance that is as high as we are used to seeing from most 4-lane NVMe SSDs.
However, as you will see when we get to the numbers, MDD's SBX is no slouch on the performance front. In-fact, the SBX actually outperforms many 4-lane SSDs currently on the market. We already demonstrated this with our Phison E8 performance preview.
NVMe performance for the price of SATA sounds good to us, now let's see for ourselves what the SBX is serving up.
MyDigitalDiscount's SBX is available in four capacities. All capacity points are single sided M.2 x2280 designs. Available capacities: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1024GB.
- Sequential Read: up to 1,600 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 1,300 MB/s
- Max 4K Random Read Speed: up to 240,000 IOPS
- Max 4K Random Write Speed: up to 180,000 IOPS
- Endurance: up to 800 TBW
- MTBF: 1.5 Million Hours
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- SLC caching
- Smart ECC
- End-to-End DPP
- Garbage Collection
The SBX is currently selling at MyDigitalDiscount for: 128GB = $56.42, 256GB = $89.15, 512GB = $149.92, 1TB = $318.71
Availability: Available now.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The MyDigitalDiscount 128GB/256GB/512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The MyDigitalDiscount 128GB/256GB/512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 10 new minutes of Anthem gameplay: boss fight, story & more
- FoxNext chooses the Nintendo Switch for Alien: Blackout
- Fire Emblem characters return in Smash Bros. Ultimate event
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 5 million units in 1st week
- First 2 hours of Kojima's Death Stranding confirmed complete
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Trailer shows the challenges of Etrian Odyssey Nexus
- Team Jolly Roger Announces launch Date For Real-Time Space-Ballistic Tactics Game 'Worbital'
- Music Card Game Upstart WOWs Top Musicians Worldwide with Their First Product
- Stardock Announces Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution Expansion
- Zerouno Games: Use your two neurons with Bleep Bloop. Launch Trailer Available