As expected, the UV400 didn't light up any of our charts. Regarding performance, we don't have a lot to point to as a reason why you would want to choose the UV400 over competing solutions. However, when we look at the overall value proposition that the UV400 has to offer, it is indeed an entry-level SSD that deserves a close look.
Kingston's UV400 480GB SATA III SSD is one of the lowest cost SSDs on the market. The build quality of the UV400 is excellent. The drive has an all-metal enclosure that is both attractive and substantial. Marvell's 88SS1074 controller is a quality component as is the Toshiba 15nm TLC flash array that populates the drive's PCB. Additionally, Kingston is trusted brand that will be there for you should you need assistance.
Because of its low cost, the UV400 is an attractive option as a drive only blister pack, but we feel it is a far more attractive option when purchased as a bundled upgrade kit. As depicted in the image above, the UV400 bundle comes with everything you could need to upgrade your desktop or laptop computer. For a mere $10 more, you get cloning software, a USB 3.0 enclosure, desktop adapter tray, SATA cable, spacer, and a SATA to Molex power cable. The included USB 3.0 enclosure alone makes the bundle worth it. We have several of these enclosures here at the lab one of which is currently being used to deliver faster storage on an Xbox.
The SSD experience that the UV400 offers is what you would expect from a value SSD. It is an order of magnitude better than any mechanical HDD, but not on the level of say a HyperX Savage. This is offset by lower cost which is the proposition of any value-oriented SSD on the market. We feel that Kingston's UV400 480GB SSD is a decent performer, and an overall great value, especially when purchased as an upgrade bundle.
Kingston's UV400 480GB SATA III SSD is TweakTown recommended.
- Good Value
- Bundle Option
- Build Quality
- Synthetic Performance
- Moderate Workloads
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||92%|
|Bundle and Packaging||100%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||89%|
The Bottom Line: With its strong price point, Kingston's UV400 SSD offers value that is going to be perfect for a lot of people, especially when purchased as an upgrade kit.
PRICING: You can find the Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB SATA III SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB SATA III SSD retails for $108 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB SATA III SSD retails for £111 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks – ATTO & Anvil's]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks – CDM & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace, OS Volume) - Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) – IOPS, Response & Transfers]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Rust will leave Steam Early Access on February 8
- Far Cry 5 official PC system requirements revealed
- Father of Sonic joins Square Enix to work on new game
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series