4K Random Write/Read
We precondition the drive for 16,000 seconds, or 4.44 hours, receiving performance data every second. We plot this data to observe the test subjects descent into steady state. We plot both IOPS and Latency. We plot IOPS (represented by blue scatter) in thousands and Latency (represented by orange scatter) in milliseconds. We observe a steady state is achieved at 4,000 seconds of preconditioning for both drives. We also observe the tight consistent performance that Samsung SSDs are renowned for.
With our configuration, the SM863 performs right at Samsung's 28K sustained random write specification across the board. Samsung SSDs hit maximum random write performance at QD1, which is in contrast to the M510DC that hits its stride at QD4 and above. The PM863 is performing better than specification, coming in at about 19.5K sustained random write performance. The PM863 performs much better than the 845DC EVO it is replacing. The M510DC displays robust random write performance, but still well below that of the SM863.
The SM863 hits its maximum performance at QD16, the PM863 at QD32. Both drives max out at about 98K. Both the SM863 and the PM863 handily outperform the M510DC and the 845DC EVO. In the case of 845DC EVO, the PM863 is outperforming it mainly because of a 200MHz core speed increase built into the drives "Mercury" controller.
Conclusion: The SM863 delivers class leading performance with superior consistency. The PM863 delivers a large increase in performance over the 845DC EVO that it is replacing.
PRICING: You can find the Samsung SM863 960GB Enterprise SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Samsung SM863 960GB Enterprise SSD retails for $571 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Samsung SM863 960GB Enterprise SSD retails for £497 at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Free-to-play made 80% of 2018 digital game revenues
- IO Interactive opens Swedish studio to work on new franchise
- New Dragon Ball Z action RPG in development
- Resident Evil 2 Remake demo impressions
- Ghostbusters 3 set for Summer 2020, teaser trailer released
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!