After nearly an entire year of using the Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone as my daily driver, I reached out to the company to see if I could secure the Z2 Tablet and review it. A few days later it arrived at my house, and ever since, it has been my tablet of choice.
I'm not the type of person to use a tablet around the house, but when I travel, it is my main accessory. I load up the slate with TV series and movies, and watch those hours tick by enthralled in the on-screen action. Being based in Australia means I travel to the US for work quite often, so having a 10.1-inch Full HD tablet with a microSD expansion slot is heaven to me.
Sony has made quite the splash in the smartphone and tablet world of late, but has recently recalled these efforts in order to push ahead in other markets where it performs stronger. I'm disappointed with the news, as it means we might not see many more smartphones or tablets from the Japanese giant in the future.
There are three different models of the Xperia Z2 Tablet, starting with the 16GB Wi-Fi only model, moving up to the 32GB Wi-Fi only model and finishing with the 4G + Wi-Fi model. All three versions of the Xperia Z2 Tablet feature the beautiful 10.1-inch TRILUMINOS display from Sony, and the rest of the goodies inside.
Depending on the market, you'll get a different processor inside. We're using the "International" version since I'm based in Australia, so we have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor, which is a 2.3GHz quad-core chip. We also have 3GB of RAM, 32GB (depending on the version you buy) of storage, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, a microSD slot, built-in stereo speakers, and more.
We also have the beautiful 10.1-inch 1920x1080 display with TRILUMINOS, which is powered by Sony's X-Reality engine for the best picture possible.
On the back, there's a 8.1-megapixel rear-facing camera using Sony's Exmor RS sensor, while around front, we have a 2.2-megapixel selfie shooter using the Exmor R sensor. Sony says you'll get around 11 hours of web browsing on the Xperia Z2 Tablet, while video playback extends this to around 13 hours. Charging up the battery will take a little under six hours.
Something that deserves its own praise is that Sony has made the Xperia Z2 Tablet fully waterproof and dustproof, which means you can use it anywhere - something we really did, in many different places, that we'll talk about later on in the review. On the software side of things, we have Android 4.4 KitKat, as well as Sony's own adjustments to the UI.
Availability & Price
You can grab the Xperia Z2 Tablet from Amazon for around $500, with the 4G LTE + Wi-Fi model with 32GB of storage currently selling for $499.99 locked to Verizon. The 16GB Wi-Fi only model, without the LTE chip and Verizon lock is $575 right now.
PRICING: You can find the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet retails for $499.90 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlegrounds 2 won't happen, as the game is a service
- Galaxy S9 logo leaks, still has a headphone jack
- NVIDIA's new GeForce 388.00 drivers ready for Destiny 2
- All the legit Destiny 2 deals for PC during release week
- Battlegrounds physical copy teased for Xbox One
- ADATA XPG SX950 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Lenovo Legion Y920 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Gigabyte Z97 Gaming GT: PCIe slots 3.0 that working only at 1.0 with an ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 expansion card
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT: PCIe 3.0 that work only at 1.0 with Asus Hyper m.2 x 4 card
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard