In this section I will begin with a discussion of the voltage regulators, and then move to other important circuits.
The VRM on this board is powered exclusively by International Rectifier, which is one of the preferred manufacturers for overclockable VRMs. An IR eight-phase digital PWM is utilized to its maximum coupled with IR power stages. The inductors are also interesting because they are capable of 76A saturation current; the Cooper-Bussmann inductors provide high-power density, which is very important with X99. There are ten Nippon Chemi-Con polymer capacitors rated at 10K that provide a total of 5600uF for the output filter.
The IR3580 is an eight-phase digital PWM with IR's latest technology built into it. The PWM works well with IR3556, which are 50A integrated power stages. Using all International Rectifier parts allows certain International Rectifier technologies to be utilized, such as the Body-Breaking mode, to turn both internal MOSFETs off to increase overall efficiency.
Each set of two DIMMs has its own IR3570, which is a 3+2 phase digital PWM. It is being utilized as a 2+1 phase PWM. The first two phases power the main DDR4 voltage rail, and the +1 powers the VPP rail. Both the main DDR4 voltage and the VPP are powered by IR3553, which are 40A integrated power stages.
These are the IR3553 used for the VPP rails.
On the left is the Intel i218v that is a common complementary chip to the Intel NIC in the PCH. On the right is a NEC D720210, which is a 1:4 USB 3.0 hub to expand USB 3.0 to the backpanel.
The audio is powered by an ALC1150 that complements the Intel Azalia codec in the PCH.
These are the dual BIOS ROMs, each at 128Mbit/16MB. The main Super I/O which handles temperature, voltage, and fan monitoring and control is located right above it. The Super I/O is an iTE8620E complemented by four nuvoTon NCT3941S chips for fan control and secondary and tertiary embedded controllers. I will cover this in greater detail very soon.
These are the EC (embedded controller) chips responsible for OC functions. The first one is the one you typically find on GIGABYTE X99 motherboards that regulates fan control and basic OC features, but the second one is special for the socket and DIMMs.
These are NXP 2x PCI-E quick switches; they switch 8x of PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth from the first slot to the second when needed.
A secondary clock generator has been added to help BCLK overclocking, and this board seems to have extra linear regulators to help power the extra voltage rails for the extra pins in the socket.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the X99-SOC Champion]
- Page 3 [X99-SOC Force Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions