The specifications for the MD70-HB0 include three PCIe x16 slots and three PCIe x8 slots that can provide good additional adapter slots for network connectivity, or additional storage controllers. Management is delivered through a dedicated LAN port that can provide iKVM features with no additional accessories, which we like. Memory capacity is typical for general-purpose servers with up to 1TB for maximum load out using 64GB DDR4 DIMMs.
Here we see a detailed block diagram showing how all the input/output ports connect to different chips on the motherboard.
Here we get our first look at the MD70-HB0 server motherboard.
For a general-purpose server motherboard, the layout is typical with the CPUs in line on the right side. All of the power connections are in good locations, but are spread out over the length of the motherboard. There is plenty of clearance around the power connectors, which allows easy plug-in and removal of connections.
The SATA connections on the left side are also in a good location; accessory cards installed in the PCIe slots do not cover them, and allow the use of standard SATA connections.
Here is the full list of connections and headers found on the MD70-HB0:
- 1x 24-pin ATX Main Power Connector
- 2x 8-pin ATX 12V Power Connectors
- 2x Mini-SAS HD Connectors
- 10x SATA3 6Gb/s Connectors
- 1x PMBus Header
- 2x CPU Fan Headers
- 5x System Fan Headers
- 1x Front Panel Header
- 1x HDD Backplane Board Header
- 1x USB 3.0 Header
- 1x TPM Module Connector
- 1x Serial Port Connector
- 2x SATA SPGIO Headers
- 1x IPMB Connector
- 1x Software RAID Key Connector
- 1x LSI RAID Key Connector
- 2x LAN LED Connectors
Here we see the PCIe slots, which are: 3x PCIe x16 and 3x PCIe x8 slots. To provide extra cooling, GIGABYTE uses a copper heat sink for the Intel X540 network chipset.
Now we are looking at the upper-right side of the motherboard. On the top edge, we see two 10GbE BASE-T LAN ports (Intel X540) and one 10/100/1000 management LAN that supply the board's network connectivity.
Here we are looking at the lower-left section of the motherboard. Along the left-hand edge of the motherboard we find eight SATA 3 6Gb/s connectors. Just to the right of these, we have two SATA 3 6Gb/s connectors that support SATA DOM function. On the bottom edge, we have two Mini-SAS HD connectors (for eight SAS 12Gb/s) connected to the LSI SAS 3008 controller.
The right side of the motherboard has the main 24-pin power connector and one 8-pin power connector.
Now we are looking at the rear I/O ports. We have a serial port at the left, and the video port next to that. Next, we have two RJ-45 LAN ports (10 gigabit Ethernet LAN ports). The final stack has a KVM server management 10/100/1000 LAN port (dedicated LAN port) with two USB 3.0 ports below.
The MD70-HB0 uses two Mini-SAS HD connectors (for eight SAS 12Gb/s), which are connected to the LSI SAS 3008 controller chip.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bitcoin flashes past $19,000: could have $20K by Christmas
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series