Samsung XS1715 1.6TB Internals and Specifications
The Samsung XS1715 comes in the 2.5" form factor with a 15mm z-height. The XS1715 interfaces with the PCIe bus via the SFF-8639 connector, covered in more detail on the following page.
We are greeted with a dual PCB design upon opening the case, and a thick thermal pad that helps cool the banks of capacitors.
40 capacitors and three NAND packages line the top PCB. We also note the empty pads for mounting more capacitors, which might indicate higher capacity versions with this same design in the future. The dual-PCB configuration is held tightly in place by a fastener on each corner of the PCB's. The sandwiched design and eight internal fasteners are nestled into a precision-milled case to ensure the SSD will function well in high-vibration environments.
The other side of the dual-PCB configuration also has large thermal pads to wick heat away from the PMC controller, DRAM, and 20nm-class eMLC NAND packages. There is an additional thermal pad between the two layers.
The large mating connectors on each side snap tightly into each other. We also observe the 2GB of DRAM cache next to the PMC controller.
The PMC 89HF16P04CG3 NVMEC16 controller provides Samsung with a programmable and flexible 16-channel controller. Each independent 8-bit channel can support up to eight targets. SECDED ECC protects data in the internal memory and DDR3 SDRAM, and internal end-to-end host to NAND data path protection eliminates silent data corruption. The controller offers robust ECC and flash channel RAID. Auto RAID rebuild allows transparent recovery from flash device failures, while maintaining normal operation. According to Dell's product documentation, the XS1715 will go into a recovery mode upon reboot, after an unexpected power loss. This is a common rebuild technique utilized with many PCIe SSDs.
The controller is also optimized for low-power operation through a combination of architectural and semiconductor design techniques. Advanced power-management features power-down units when not in use and processor cores go into a low power state when idle. The controller also supports the Enterprise NVMe device power-management interface, for power and performance management.
The XS1715 is available in MZWEI400HAGM-00003, MZWEI800HAGM-00003, and MZWEI1T6HAGP-00003 SKUs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM