Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
The first thing we've got to talk about is the look of the card before we go anywhere else. The blue highlights on the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC really look amazing and make the card really stand out for all the right reasons. While it's only aesthetics, no one wants an ugly looking card in their system.
This comes at a price, and the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC is one of the most expensive R9 290s on the market. It comes well deserved, though. While not tested at the out of the box clocks, the 1030MHz core combined with the 5600MHz QDR memory clock makes for one of the best, if not the best, out-of-the-box overclocks on the market.
The quality of the cooler is also fantastic. While it's a little warm and a little loud when compared to a lot of other cards, the fact that we're pushing more volts and MHz through the card means we can forgive it. Compared to the stock cooler as well, the numbers are considerably better.
The card really shined when we overclocked it. At over 1100MHz on the core and 6000MHz QDR on the memory, we saw some truly awesome performance numbers with it coming out ahead of the R9 290X 4GB most the time. While the GTX 780 manages to come out ahead at times, the fact that it's also over $500 means that it should be faster. In terms of bang-for-buck, the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC really holds its own.
As for the bundle, it's a very typical Sapphire one with the inclusion of the HDMI cable. Today, though, you can see they've also chosen to include what is essentially a mouse pad. Most of us would find ourselves staying away from it, though, as it's not exactly screaming quality. It's more than likely the kind of mouse pad you'd throw on your parents PC or maybe just keep in your laptop bag.
While the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC is one of the more expensive R9 290s on the market, we have no problem justifying the price tag. The quality of the card is fantastic from top to bottom, and even if you don't overclock, you're getting one of the highest out of the box overclocked cards on the market. It is truly a top choice from the folks over at Sapphire.
PRICING: You can find the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC retails for $499.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks – Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks – F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks – Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks – BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks – 4K – 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 14 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 15 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 16 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Andriod lollipop users now have Google Assistant
- Largest stolen credential data base found to date
- Twitch is now featured as an Alexa Echo Skill
- Google Duo rolled out to standard dial app
- PAYDAY 2 coming to the Nintendo Switch in February 2018
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series