With HGST's entry into the NAS market, end users now have more options than ever when building a storage appliance. While the HGST may be another NAS focused drive, it does offer a tremendous amount of performance over competing solutions, due to its higher spindle speed and large cache.
One tradeoff of the HGST NAS is the much higher power consumption, and while it does not quite consume as much as the WD Black, it does consume almost 2 watts more than the WD Red and Seagate NAS, making a traditional four-bay appliance consume nearly 10 watts more.
On the plus side, the HGST NAS offers an across-the-board performance improvement with the most important being response times. As we saw in the charts on the previous pages, the HGST NAS is actually quicker than the WD Black in response and random workloads, and is not too far off in sequential read and write, as well.
Compared to the competing WD Red and Seagate NAS, the HGST carries quite a marketable performance increase but, as stated, uses on average 2 watts more. Reliability of the HGST NAS is yet to be determined, but as these units start to enter the market, we should see reports from end users as to how these drives fare. One thing we know for sure is HGST has set this drive up for success with a 1 million hour MTBF and a non-recoverable bit error rate of 10^14.
MSRP of the HGST Deskstar NAS in the 4TB capacity is set at $229.99 with a three-year warranty. Current market pricing can be found below.
PRICING: You can find the HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB HDD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB HDD retails for $233.99 at Amazon.3
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Epic: 'Battle. Adapt. Win' tease for Season 4 of Fortnite
- PC Building Simulator sells 100,000 copies in 30 days
- Radeon Vega Instinct: refreshed 7nm Vega 20 hits AMD labs
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.36 after code
- Amazon Prime price will increase to $119 in May
- Gigabyte P104-100 GPU Mining Card
- ASUS STRIX H370-I GAMING (Intel H370) Motherboard Review
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit