Over the past few months, we have looked at quite a few external storage solutions that feature solid state technology. Solutions such as the Angelbird SSD2go and ADATA SE720 offered top-notch performance, but in a larger form factor.
With our latest external storage review (the MyDigitalSSD Pocket Vault), we noted that we are gradually seeing external storage solutions shrink, and start to take on USB flash drives from a price/performance perspective.
In the lab today, we have yet another external storage solution from MyDigitalSSD, but in the form of the 256GB OTG. Marketing specifications of the OTG have it pushing 465 MB/s read, followed by 450 MB/s write, using UASP technology.
To reach peak performance with the OTG, Windows 8 and OS X 10.8+ are recommended, but compatibility does stretch to previous versions of the aforementioned operating systems. Warranty of the OTG is listed at three years.
The scope of delivery for the OTG includes the device itself, and a USB 3.0 cable.
Internally, the OTG uses a USB 3.0 to mSATA conversion PCB with the latest ASMedia controller on-board. The mSATA SSD features 256GB of NAND from Toshiba. The controller used on the drive is the Phison PS3108-S8.
Here, we have the OTG paired next to its sibling drive: the Pocket Vault. The OTG carries a slightly smaller footprint, while being slightly thicker.
In read testing, the OTG did quite well. Here, we see the drive scale with the increase in file size, to a peak of 460 MB/s.
Write performance of the OTG topped out around 370 MB/s.
In our price to performance charts, the OTG came in second to the ADATA SE720.
The OTG from MyDigitalSSD was quite a surprising drive to say the least. The build quality of the small form factor drive was great; the plastics were snapped together and held tight by screws, which did offer a slight challenge when taking images for this review. Overall, the unit feels quite durable, and being NAND based, it carries top-tier shock tolerance; although, it's not crush proof, so I wouldn't try it.
Performance of the OTG was great, we were able to reach 460 MB/s read, and 370 MB/s write. Additionally, the performance of the drive, coupled with its MSRP, placed the drive second in our price/performance charts.
The MSRP of the MyDigitalSSD OTG in the 256GB capacity is set at $199.99; although, if you look below, you may be able to find it at a lower cost. Warranty of the OTG from MyDigitalSSD is set at three years.
PRICING: You can find the MyDigitalSSD OTG 256GB External SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The MyDigitalSSD OTG 64GB External SSD retails for $69.99 at Amazon, the MyDigitalSSD OTG 128GB External SSD retails for $114.99 at Amazon, and the MyDigitalSSD OTG 256GB External SSD retails for $199.99 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ruin the fun in our 'Blockers' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Make a noise for our 'A Quiet Place' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new external GPU: Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB for $699
- Apple's most expensive new MacBook Pro costs an insane $6700
- Darksiders 3 devs announce new IP, Remnant: From the Ashes
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Qflash ans USB
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit