The Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 provides a new enterprise-class SATA 6Gb/s 7200K HDD in a 3.5" form factor. These sixth-generation HDDs from Seagate are geared for those with the need for large, reliable bulk storage. The ES.3 is offered in capacities of 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, and the 4TB we are evaluating today.
The Constellation ES.3 delivers bulk storage for the continuing expansion of the cloud. Seagate is addressing a key need for expanded capacity in the bulk storage market, with a projection of more than 60% of storage delivered for cloud applications by 2020. This is a vast increase from the 25% shipped into cloud applications in 2012.
The Constellation ES.3 is available in either SAS or SATA flavors to address two different sectors of the market. The SATA variant addresses the need for 24x7 energy-efficient data access. This economical version will perform well for bulk storage of data in replicated and RAID environments.
The SAS version of the Constellation ES.3 is designed for mission critical environments that require the High Availability (HA) features offered by the SAS interface, such as dual-port, multi-path and failover technologies. By supplying both interfaces, Seagate allows for a bulk storage offering catering to multiple use cases.
The Constellation ES.3 provides higher performance than its Constellation ES.2 predecessor, with a jump from a sustained data rate of 155 MB/s to 175 MB/s. This 11% jump in performance comes from several improvements in the architecture of the HDD. A jump from 64MB of DDR2 cache up to 128MB also contributes to provide an additional incremental increase in performance. The Constellation ES.3 features an areal density of 578 compared to the density of 444 in the precious generation, enabling a whopping 152TB of storage per square foot in multi-drive deployments.
In conjunction with enhanced error correction, super-parity, and end-to-end SAS-based data integrity, the reliability increases from an MTBF of 1.2 million hours with the Constellation ES.2 to 1.4 million hours for the Constellation ES.3. Seagate has also increased the rotational vibration tolerance of the ES.3 to ensure reliability in multi-drive chassis solutions.
The SATA versions of the ES.3 offer standard encryption and the SAS versions also offer FIPS (140-2 compliant) as an extra layer of data encryption. In the worst-case scenario, users can also utilize Seagate's Instant Secure Erase functionality. This feature also allows for easy repurposing or retirement of ES.3 HDDs.
Providing these robust features in an economical solution requires a low power threshold. The ES.3 offers up an average power consumption of 10.68W through a blend of technologies that lower the overall power consumption. Seagate's Power Choice feature enables T-10 compliant power management. With the correct tuning, this can allow for a whopping 90% power reduction in some environments.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Vivendi postpones Ubisoft takeover
- Battlegrounds' desert map shown off in 3 new screenshots
- Tesla's new electric semi is the future of trucks
- PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 Red Devil spotted
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ