Just days ago we rolled out our review of the Crucial M500 120GB SSD. We concluded that the flash was causing performance issues, but we didn't go into great detail on why. In our reviews, we show a picture of the flash and tell you how many packages a drive has, but rarely do we talk about the number of die in each package.
The M500 120GB has eight NAND packages (the black squares you can see) and inside each package is one NAND die. The Marvell 9287 controller is an 8-channel design so that means each channel is responsible for one piece of flash.
Today we're looking at the Crucial M500 240GB model. This model uses sixteen NAND packages with one die per package. The M500 240GB uses the same 8-channel controller so that means each channel connects to two NAND die. This brings us to interleaving or more than one NAND talking to each channel on the controller.
In the easiest terms to understand, interleaving gives us the same effect that double data rate (DDR) RAM gave us. It isn't so much the rise and fall of the clock cycle, but its more operations per clock cycle.
The Crucial M500 240GB doubles the number of die to each channel over the 120GB model. Let's see what that does for the performance over the next lot of pages.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Crucial M500 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]