I suppose it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that AMD decided to bring something a little new to us in time for the holiday season. The new Tahiti LE based HD 7870, though, seems to be extremely limited with only a few companies choosing to pick up the new variant. AMD themselves don't have the new model on its website, though, and it seems that only a few companies have decided to pick up the model.
Alongside Sapphire the other main company we know that has bought the new Tahiti LE based video card to us is PowerColor and it comes in the form of the PowerColor PCS+ HD 7870 2GB Myst Edition. The main problem is that you're not quite sure that the model is based on the new Tahiti LE chip. Hopefully today, though, we'll be able to give you a bit of a clearer picture of what exactly we're dealing with.
While we'll go into a bit more detail on the next page when we look at the specifications side of things the main thing to remember is that this is an "LE" based chip. The Tahiti chip is used on the HD 7900 series while the Pitcairn chip is used on the HD 7800 series. What I like here is that while they're using the Tahiti chip, AMD have decided to bring the "LE" based version of it to the HD 7800 series.
In the end from a specification point of view it looks good for the consumers because by bringing it under the HD 7800 series name we feel like we're getting a supped up HD 7870 where if it was called the HD 7950 LE, the impression of a cut down HD 7900 series based card just doesn't sit as well.
Anyway we don't want to go into too much detail when it comes to the specifications side of things as we'll cover that in the next page. Before we get there, though, we'll quickly see what's going on with the package before taking a closer look at the card itself. Once we've done that we'll check out the specifications, our testbed, the cards we'll be using in our graphs today and finally get into the performance side of things.
I always love the box design from PowerColor; it looks great and you can see on the front we've got the main information we need. Including the fact it's a HD 7870, PCS+ cooler and the Myst Edition card which helps let us know it's based on the Tahiti LE chip. As for the back of the box you can see we've got information on some of the components and a large chunk is dedicated to showing off the cooler and the benefits it brings.
Moving inside the bundle we don't have a whole lot going on with a Quick Installation Guide and Driver CD being included alongside just a single cable which is a Mini DP to DisplayPort connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Starfield could be the star of Bethesda's E3 2019
- Information that your Internet Service Provider stores
- Latest Red Dead Redemption 2 patch downscales PS4 graphics
- System Shock 3 devs leave Starbreeze, game is 'halfway' done
- Valve release Dota 2 betting app feature 'Dota Plus'
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- here at personate in a apologetic irregardless by recognition
- foreign wish over wit at diggings in the incite
- Project Downfall - a retro-style, cyberpunk, reflex-based shooter now available on Early Access & coming to Xbox One & Switch. Preview copies await!
- Adventure Is Around Every Corner In One Piece World Seeker
- Ancestors Legacy is now available on GOG with Cross-play integration
- Buckle Up, Buttercup: Skybound And NMC Studios' Vehicular Battle Royale Game notmycar hits Steam Early Access April 5th
- Haggle Your Way to Riches in Bargain Hunter for Nintendo Switch