As usual we won't go into any real detail on our testbed as all the information is shown above. As for the boards we use, we'll clearly see them as we look at our graphs. Instead we'll just get into the overclocking side of things to see just what kind of performance we could get out of the ASRock Extreme9, a board that ASRock is calling the "Overclock King".
What we found with both of our X79 Extreme4 and Extreme4-M boards was that they preferred to move with a higher multiplier and instead use a lower BCLK. So far, though, we've found our highest overclocking boards have preferred the higher BCLK, so the first thing we did was set our BCLK to 125 and fire up Windows.
It came as no surprise that we would get up and running with no issue here, so we headed back into the BIOS and started to mess around with the multiplier a bit. Hoping to get around the 38x / 39x mark, this would see us in Windows at 4.75GHz / 4.87 GHz.
Running fine at both those speeds in Windows, we went in for the illustrious 40x multiplier which with the 125 BCLK results in our system running at a solid 5GHz.
Legitimately, I found myself surprised that we were not only in Windows, but completing a HyperPI run at 5GHz. ASRock make some great boards and they've only gotten better over the last few years, but overclocking hasn't always been their strongest feature; instead it's been more about price, performance and features, and they're all great areas to excel at. But it seems with the new X79 Extreme9, ASRock are taking their boards to another level.
Before we settled on a flat 5GHz, we closed our eyes and tried a 41x multiplier, but it came as no shock that we couldn't get that up and running. We ended up moving back down to 40x and saw if we could get anything out of the BCLK.
We eventually settled at a 40x multiplier and a 126 BCLK which brought our CPU in at 5040MHz or 5.04GHz as shown in our graphs today. This is an amazing overclock and should do an excellent job of yielding some strong performance over our stock settings. Along with the high CPU speed, you can see this also pushed our RAM up to 2016MHz DDR which is going to help boost overall performance a little bit as well.
With everything up and running, I think we can get into the benchmark side of things and see just what kind of performance we're able to get out of the ASRock X79 Extreme9 today.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Biggest Civ Expansion yet
- Marvel's Spider-Man: 'Turf Wars' DLC released, new trailer
- Amazon Japan has $650+ Smash UItimate Amiibo set available
- Warframe makes its way to the Nintendo Switch, available now
- Overview trailer released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- The computer always restarts
- X79 Extreme11 NVMe - PLEASE HELP
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- olloclip Introduces Add-On Lens Clips for Apple's Newest iPhones
- ROCCAT celebrates website relaunch with fantastic deals
- QNAP Launches the Mustang-200 Computing Accelerator Card
- Manli announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & GeForce RTX 2070
- Stunning New Character Strikes Her Way into DEAD OR ALIVE 6