With another HD 6990 4GB arriving, we take the time to have a proper look at the overclocking potential of the model. It was great that we achieved 1GHz on both cores on our Sapphire sample, but considering we had to run the fan at 100% which generated in excess of 90 dB of noise, we understand that it's hardly a feasible option for most people.
So instead of testing the HIS HD 6990 4GB at its reference speeds or in CrossFireX (two things we've already done), we'll instead be testing its overclocking potential with the fan set to a much more bearable AUTO.
Of course, we'll again be using MSI Afterburner software to overclock and that means we'll be able to increase the core voltage on both our cores which should help us achieve a strong overclock. Before we get into that, though, let's first check out the package of the HIS card before taking a closer look at the card itself.
Once we've done that we'll of course check out the specifications on the model, but more importantly the overclock we managed to achieve. Then the fun stuff begins and we find out just what kind of performance we're able to get from the card when it's overclocked above the 880MHz that AUSUM mode offers us.
The overall box design doesn't hold any surprises except for the fact it's a bit longer than we're used to due to the longer card. Inside we've got a strong showing of cables; before we get into that, though, we've got the normal line-up of stuff like manual, driver CD, CrossFire Bridge, two Dual-Molex to 8-Pin PCIE connectors and a DVI to VGA connector.
The other four connectors are all Mini DP convertors. There's an active and passive Single-Link DVI convertor; one that converts to HDMI and the final one converts to normal DisplayPort. It's fantastic that AMD and its partners have given us a load of adapters for the card as it means at launch you'll be able to really make use of it, depending on the monitor you've got.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Galaxy S9/S9+ revealed, launches March 16 and starts at $720
- PlayStation 5 coming in 2020, analyst predicts
- Papers Please short film highlights rigors of Arstotzka
- GPUz v2.8.0 released, lots of goodies as usual
- Warcraft III updated, includes 16:9 support and HEAPS MORE
- Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 (8th Gen Core) Laptop Review
- Fujitsu-Siemens BIOS - LGA 771 to 775 microcode
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Enermax T.B. RGB, RGB Lighting 3 Fan Pack Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit