You might've seen some people getting in excess of 1000MHz on the core of HD 6970s and the first thing we have to say is that it's not that the HIS HD 6970 2GB we're using is a poor overclocking card. Under 3DMark 11 and Vantage we could benchmark at 1000MHz on the core, but Heaven would see crashes, and so did Batman AA.
Due to the way we offer these overclocking articles in that we test it in every benchmark verses just one or two like others, we have to make sure our OC is capable of completing all our tests.
Falling short of the 1000MHz mark isn't a huge deal, though. 6GHz QDR on the memory is just a huge number and overall the performance out of the model when overclocked is very strong.
On the topic of the HIS HD 6970, there's nothing to really say about it that we haven't said about other HD 6970s that follow the reference design. You've got a good model with a strong price tag that's going to play a lot of games with no real dramas at the higher resolutions.
Is it worth going to the effort to overclock the model? Absolutely, and you can see in certain situations that the extra MHz really helps make game play a bit smoother. The best example of that is in Mafia II where we see at stock we're just getting over that 60 FPS average we want. With the overclock we're pushing a bit further away from it and the difference between a 63 FPS average and a 67 FPS average is noticeable as it helps lift the minimum FPS up.
Another great HD 6970 and today we're able to see the kind of extra performance we can get when it comes to overclocking the card with additional voltage. For some it's going to be worth the effort, while for others they'll be happy with the stock clocks. Of course, there's always the option to buy a pre-overclocked one like the HIS Turbo we looked at recently.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card, Specifications and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit