When writing reviews of one particular product, you tend to become a bit desensitized over time.You can become accustomed to the one goal most manufacturers strive for; dulling the reaction of the review itself.Yes, it's modular.Yes, it has some sort of 80 Plus certification.Yes, it has a flashy box with lightning bolts and an over-emphasis on the letter "x".
Nexus, albeit with a prominent "X", have taken this power supply quite seriously. Sans lightning bolts, Nexus has worked hard to create innovation in a relatively stale product market. Up for review is the brand new RX-1100 from Nexus.This new unit promises the incredible feat of super-efficient power delivery, all while remaining incredibly quiet.This particular formula doesn't sound unfamiliar, seeing as how most power supply companies tote similar claims. As we all know, there's saying, and then there's doing.
So read on to find out why this may be one of my favorite power supplies I've tested so far. Sizing in at an ATX-friendly 150mm x 86mm x 158mm, this dark-bronze box can be swapped into existing rigs without worry. I admire the fact that the essential cables are part of the ponytail; forever attached directly to the rail. This arrangement makes a lot of sense to me. Why would the motherboard cables need to be modular, anyway?
Specifications, Availability, And Pricing
$249.99 is the MSRP, which is on the pricey side.But there are other power supplies that give you less for that amount out there.In my opinion, this is the epitome of the expression "you get what you pay for." This is made clear from the product itself, all the way down to the careful packaging.
Nexus has included the usual lineup of features like over voltage and short-circuit protection.On top of that, though, are a few other interesting bits. One of them is Active PFC (Power Factor Correction); a crucial addition that actively monitors your system's demands and fluctuates the power intake to match. By doing so, this power supply is able to gain the 80 Plus Gold rating. Although this isn't the top tier 80 Plus rating, it is still incredibly impressive given the unit's responsibilities.
According to the 80 Plus website, this unit is able to reach the following efficiencies: 88.81% efficiency @ 20% load; 90.81% efficiency @ 50% load and 88.21% efficiency @ 100% load. Our tests revealed that our unit was just a hair more efficient, though. More on that later.
Installation is typical of most power supplies. With a set of four standard screws included, you will need a screwdriver for installation.But that's to be expected, right?As previously mentioned, this isn't a fully modular power supply.There are five cables in the ponytail, which would almost immediately satisfy many setups, save for any Molex/SATA connections.
The unit itself has a very well built, solid feeling to it.That is probably due to a mixture of a good paint job, good assembly, good materials and the inclusion of sound dampening materials. This can be heard and felt when tapping around the outside of the case, though it is only apparent on two sides. Cooling this unit is a 135mm ball bearing fan, which also helps to reduce overall noise.To top it all off, a lifetime warranty is included.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Resident Evil 2 supports ultrawide monitors
- Top 10 premium games of 2018 in revenue
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media