Setting up the NETGEAR Powerline kit is quick and easy. All you have to do is drop the CD-ROM into your system and click 'install utility'.
Here we see something very nice. The installer is looking for updates before it runs. This ensures that you are going to get the most current software possible. Nice touch NETGEAR.
After that the installer is pretty simple to get through. Once the setup utility is installed you can get to work on connecting your Powerline network. Unfortunately there is a tiny little problem. On Windows 7 x64 the utility did not work at all, while on our Windows 2003 R2 VM things ran fine. This is not a failure of NETGEAR, but of the Powerline people. They have not updated the software to run on a 64-bit OS since they released it.
After we managed to get things working from the Windows 2003 server, it was a simple matter of putting in the passwords (remember, I told you to write them down ) and we have a good connection.
The utility does more than just establish a connection, though. You can setup security (through encryption) QoS, run diagnostics and even reset your devices if needed.
There is one nice side to having the same old software running the Powerline setup. As you can see in the first screen shot, more than two units showed up. This is because we also had additional models from TRENDNet and AirLive plugged in. These showed up under the same utility, allowing for easy one-stop control of all of your Powerline adapters.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider weapons revealed through trailer
- New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U rumored for Switch
- Windows 10 Pro: $12.41, Office 2016 Pro: $28.10
- Diablo III Switch coming this Fall, hits smooth 60FPS
- Halo Infinite is Halo 6, a direct sequel to Halo 5
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Buy (2 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1,398
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada