Setting up the NETGEAR Powerline kit is quick and easy. All you have to do is drop the CD-ROM into your system and click 'install utility'.
Here we see something very nice. The installer is looking for updates before it runs. This ensures that you are going to get the most current software possible. Nice touch NETGEAR.
After that the installer is pretty simple to get through. Once the setup utility is installed you can get to work on connecting your Powerline network. Unfortunately there is a tiny little problem. On Windows 7 x64 the utility did not work at all, while on our Windows 2003 R2 VM things ran fine. This is not a failure of NETGEAR, but of the Powerline people. They have not updated the software to run on a 64-bit OS since they released it.
After we managed to get things working from the Windows 2003 server, it was a simple matter of putting in the passwords (remember, I told you to write them down ) and we have a good connection.
The utility does more than just establish a connection, though. You can setup security (through encryption) QoS, run diagnostics and even reset your devices if needed.
There is one nice side to having the same old software running the Powerline setup. As you can see in the first screen shot, more than two units showed up. This is because we also had additional models from TRENDNet and AirLive plugged in. These showed up under the same utility, allowing for easy one-stop control of all of your Powerline adapters.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Payday 2 Switch port is outdated version
- Metal Gear Survive charges for extra save files
- Rime on the Nintendo has been fixed, looks decent now
- Onrush launches on the 5th of June, new trailer released
- Nintendo Switch exclusive Castle of Heart gets new trailer
- Z370 Taichi BIOS 1.40
- Seagate DJI Fly Drive 2TB Review
- Weird SATA Controller Issue
- Secretlab TITAN NAPA: the most luxurious gaming chair yet
- MyDigitalSSD OTG v2 480GB Portable SSD
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit