Final Thoughts - Alpine 11 Pro
Everything considered, the Alpine 11 Pro is a champ for your 95W or lesser processor. Height allowing, this is one of the perfect solutions to SFF or NTPC builds. Not only is the Alpine 11 Pro near silent most of the time, but even under the extreme loads I subjected it to, it was still reasonable to the ears. As I said in the testing, keeping this rig at sub seventy degree temperatures with a 92mm fan keeping things under control is one thing, but doing it quietly and while only rated for 2/3 of that power is a feat in itself.
Issues with the Alpine 11 Pro are really non-existent. It is what it is, a simple budget cooler. No thrills no frills, just an easy cooler to use, that all one has to do is pull it out of the box and install it. With pre-applied MX-2 and very simple mounting hardware, I can't find fault anywhere. Around the web the Alpine 11 Pro can be found for around $20 USD plus shipping, but is surely a smaller budget solution to cooling low wattage chips in limited space.
Final Thoughts - MX-3 Thermal Compound
I'm a little torn when it comes to MX-3. I was a huge fan of the ease of use of the thinner MX-2. I'm as big a sucker for performance as the next guy, but I didn't like that I have to figure out a means of applying the MX-3. I tried as I said, simply spreading with my fingers and using a plastic bag over my finger. What I found worked best if you don't want to spread it was multiple drops of the TIM and allow the cooler to spread the TIM. If you want to use a minimal amount with less excess, you will need to pull out a credit card or something flat to spread the compound evenly.
Aside from the personal issue of it being thick, I found the second hurdle to making me want to run out and buy it, or recommend it. That would be the pricing currently of MX-3. I find it in various locations from $12-20 USD per tube. $12 isn't all that bad for a tube of compound, but once you add shipping you are at the $20 mark anyways. Now, if you don't mind an extra half of a degree, you could opt to locate some MX-2 for about half the price. The decision is up to you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Smash Bros. Ultimate director discusses 3rd-party characters
- Smash Bros. UItimate is fastest-selling Switch game so far
- 90s hit 'Blood' is being remastered by Nightdive Studios
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 'Absolute Zero' update is here
- GeForce GTX 1070 with GDDR5X could be around the corner
Forum ActivityView More Forum Posts
- LSAC Announces Technology Collaboration with Microsoft
- Funcom announces new game: Conan Unconquered
- Darksiders III Accolades Trailer revealed
- Insurgency: Sandstorm's Open Beta begins today on Steam - experience intense, realistic combat!
- DiRT 4 Coming to macOS and Linux in 2019