Marvell - a worldwide leader in providing complete silicon solutions from mobile communications to storage, Internet of Things (IoT), cloud infrastructure, digital entertainment, in-home content delivery and Kinoma software enabling the "Smart Life and Smart Lifestyle" - today announced its next-generation industry-leading 88MZ300 802.15.4/ZigBee wireless microcontroller system-on-chip (SoC), the newest member of Marvell's wireless microcontroller family of Internet of Things solutions. The high-performance, low-power, cost-effective SoC offers superior radio frequency (RF) performance that more than doubles the transmission range and reduces power consumption by 50 percent over Marvell's previous generation 88MZ100 SoC, while maintaining the least amount of external components due to the high integration in silicon. Together with its support for open standards, including the upcoming ZigBee 3.0 and Thread protocols, the 88MZ300 SoC, along with a ZigBee to Wi-Fi bridge reference design and an ecosystem of hardware manufacturers and system integration partners, it enables original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to rapidly bring new, innovative IoT applications to market. The 88MZ300 SoC is sampling now.
"Marvell continues to demonstrate innovation in home automation, connected lighting and IoT with its 88MZ300 ZigBee wireless microcontroller which leads 802.15.4 technology in both performance and cost," said Philip Poulidis, Vice President and General Manager, Mobile and Internet of Things Business Units at Marvell. "Along with Kinoma and Marvell's recently announced Smart Home Cloud Center, the 88MZ300 delivers a total solution for home automation and IoT markets. We look forward to the range of exciting new product opportunities that will be possible with the deployment of the 88MZ300."
Building upon Marvell's successful 88MZ100 ZigBee wireless microcontroller, the 88MZ300 includes execute in place (XIP) that allows code execution directly from flash memory, reducing system cost while enabling scalable memory architecture for large code applications and future software upgrades. This benefits OEMs who are designing with the evolving protocol standards. It delivers ultra-low power consumption with 8.5 milliampere (mA) receiving (RX) current and 1microampere (uA) standby current, works with an ultra-wide range of power supplies from 1.8 to 3.6 volts (V), allowing for a small form factor battery while providing extended battery life. Moreover, it offers industry-best co-existence performance with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (BT), significantly improves data link quality with reduced message loss and in turn enhances user experience. The 88MZ300 based IoT solution not only offers industry proven robust network stacks based on open standards, it also offers turnkey hardware designs that are compatible with Marvell's Smart Home Cloud Center platform and Kinoma software.
Key features include:
- 120dBm link-budget with 13dBm integrated PA and -107dBm receiving sensitivity
- Best-in-class Wi-Fi coexistence performance with 56dBc Wi-Fi ACI
- 26mA transmitting current at 13dBm, 8.5mA receiving current and 1uA standby with memory retention
- On-chip 512kB Flash and 164.5kB SRAM
- QFN-32 package measures at 5mm by 5mm
Typical applications/markets include:
- Connected lighting
- Smart appliances
- Home/building automation
- Retailer electronic shelf labels (ESL)
- Remote controllers
- Industrial controls
Marvell will be launching the 88MZ300 at the Lightfair International in New York, NY May 5-7, 2015.
Latest News Posts
- New Switch refresh has 9 hours battery life, same specs
- Gamestop to transform stores into retro arcades
- Interactive website plays 50yr Apollo 11 launch in real-time
- 2mm tiny-bots to regenerate your health from the inside out
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC 'Hero' to drop this Summer
- NZXT H500i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- closing explorer.exe cause unstable mouse movement
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT benchmarked at 3440x1440
- AsRock H370M-ITX and RAID
- Phoenix Labs Details Massive 'Fortune & Glory' Content Update For Dauntless, Trials and New Hunt Pass Season Arrive July 16
- Nightmare Reaper is out now in Steam Early Access
- Final Assault Paves the Way for VR Esports at WCG
- WiMi Hologram (WIMI) files for listing on Nasdaq Global Market
- The Intergalactic Bounty Hunt Begins as Futuristic Co-Op Action RPG Killsquad Launches on Steam Early Access