On Saturday, 25 April, a massive earthquake of 7.8 magnitude struck Nepal and the surrounding region, swiftly followed by an initial aftershock measuring 6.6 and a second measured at 6.7 the next day.
These earthquakes have caused unprecedented destruction across the area, leveling homes, businesses and reducing to rubble heritage that has stood for thousands of years. With the United Nations confirming that the death toll has surpassed 6,000 people, foreign aid has begun to pour in from across the globe.
An additional 14,000 people are known to have been injured, with the events over the weekend also affecting Mount Everest, which suffered a massive avalanche after the initial earthquake that struck the mountain's base camp, killing at least fifteen climbers and stranding almost 100 more. The UN estimates that approximately 3 million people are in urgent need of aid, with 24,000 living in makeshift camps, and over 130,000 homes destroyed by the earthquakes.
A report today from the United Nations Office of the Resident Coordinator estimates that around eight million people in 39 districts have been affected in total, of which over two million live in the 11 most severely affected districts, with landslides and challenging weather continuing to slow rescue efforts.
Along with the EVE Online community, CCP have been following the devastating impact of these events, and we were extremely humbled to see support tickets start to flood in and requests begin to appear on the EVE forums and social media sites requesting that we launch a PLEX for GOOD initiative to assist those affected.
Beginning today, Friday, May 1st 2015 through to 23:59:59 on Friday May 15 2015, CCP will be accepting PLEX for GOOD donations from our players.
For each PLEX donated during this period, CCP hf. will contribute USD $15 to the Icelandic Red Cross to fund their aid efforts in Nepal.
To make your PLEX for GOOD donation:
- Contract one or more PLEX to the "CCP PLEX for GOOD" character on a 14-day item exchange contract.
- Contracts will be accepted within 24 hours of submission, though usually sooner than that.
Please ensure the receiving character is the one named above, and double check the character is in the C C P Corporation to avoid contracting PLEX to the incorrect character. CCP cannot guarantee the return of PLEX contracted to the wrong character.
Once again, as we say with every PLEX for GOOD drive, we cannot thank the EVE Community enough for the support, encouragement and dedication that you all show to the PLEX for GOOD program.
Previous PLEX for GOOD drives have resulted in donations totaling over $340,000 to those in need during natural disasters in Japan, Haiti, Pakistan, and the United States, with the last PLEX for GOOD drive raising an astonishing $190,890 for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines during November 2013.
As a gesture of thanks, for each PLEX you donate CCP will give you two virtual in-game t-shirts: the Sisters of EVE Food Relief "'Humanitarian' T-shirt YC117" (one male and one female) for use in EVE to show your support for PLEX for GOOD. These t-shirts are currently being designed, and will be distributed with a later release once they are finalized. Here's a preview of what they're going to look like:
Please note that your contribution to PLEX for GOOD is not tax-deductible. For information on the Icelandic Red Cross (Rauði Krossinn á Íslandi), please visit their website at http://www.raudikrossinn.is/ or contact them at Efstaleiti 9, 103 Reykjavík, telephone +354 570 4000, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Shazam's first trailer injects fun, and color into the DCEU
- DC unleashes first Aquaman trailer during SDCC 2018
- GeForce GTX 1170 benchmark surfaces, faster than GTX 1080 Ti
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- HELP With a Sniper.2 Z68 bios U1C, won't boot with discrete VGA
- Z97X-SLI doesn't recognize NVME-SSD
- Design a Colorful SSD contest
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit