Organizers of Open Source Virtual Reality (OSVR), a software platform designed to set an open standard for virtual reality devices, today released the OSVR Hacker Developer Kit (HDK) production file and the OSVR development roadmap.
The OSVR HDK is a hackable head-mounted display offering high-quality optics that work to reduce distortion in virtual environments. Any user can view production files of the OSVR HDK and the developer roadmap, streamlining the efforts of those that want to make their own hardware based on its design.
"With the release of the OSVR development roadmap, the process for creating new VR hardware and software on the platform can be accelerated significantly," says Michael Lee, VP of software at Razer. "We welcome the support of VR enthusiasts everywhere."
Additionally, OSVR partners announced eight new supporting partners and seven additional universities joining the coalition. OSVR has now grown to over 90 supporting companies and research institutes since its launch in January.
"OSVR offers variety and choice in peripherals, programming models and now hardware designs, all fueled by our diverse partner base and the ingenuity in the open-source community," says Yuval Boger, CEO at Sensics, a founding contributor to OSVR. "We look forward to working with the community to provide additional game engine plugins, hardware interfaces, and intelligent real-time analysis capabilities."
Interested developers can learn more here.
Latest News Posts
- No, AMD didn't just drop the price of Radeon RX Vega 56
- 343i crunched hard for Halo 4 and Halo 5
- Bowser takes over Nintendo of America
- Top 10 Twilight Zone episodes
- New Twilight Zone trailer is full of classic throwbacks
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Compatibility issue P10S-M-DC with i5
- LG Innotek Begins Mass Production of 'ToF Module' for Smart Phones
- Puma And The Tetris Company Announce Partnership That Is Sure To Spark Nostalgia
- Embrace Your Dark Side - Daedalic Entertainment Announces New Tactical RPG Iratus: Lord of the Dead
- New Devespresso and Headup Collaboration: 'Vambrace: Cold Soul' Coming Soon to PC & Consoles
- Hadean Integrates Distributed Simulation Technology Powered By Microsoft Azure