Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today introduced a high-performance mobile memory storage based on Embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) 5.0 technology. The new 128-gigabyte (GB), 3-bit NAND-based eMMC 5.0 storage is targeted at the smartphone and tablet mass markets.
"With the introduction of our value-focused, 3-bit NAND-based eMMC 5.0 line-up, we expect to take the lead in the expansion of high-density mobile storage," said Dr. Jung-Bae Lee, Senior Vice President of Memory Product Planning and Application Engineering Team, Samsung Electronics. "We are continuing to enhance our next-generation embedded mobile memory offerings with improved performance and higher densities to meet increasing customer demand across the mobile industry."
While flagship smartphones are already transitioning to 128GB memory storage based on Universal Flash Storage (UFS) 2.0 or eMMC 5.1 standards, mid-market smartphones will now be able to increase their storage capacity to 128GB as well. Samsung's new 3-bit 128GB eMMC 5.0 memory speeds up this transition as the industry's highest density eMMC 5.0 solution.
The new 128GB eMMC 5.0 delivers 260 megabytes per second (MB/s) for sequential data reading, which is the same level of performance as that of MLC NAND-based eMMC 5.1 memory. For random data read and write operations, it can handle up to 6,000 IOPS (input/output operations per second) and 5,000 IOPS, respectively, which is sufficient for supporting high definition video processing and advanced multi-tasking features. These IOPS speeds are approximately four and 10 times faster, respectively, than those of a typical external memory card.
With the new 3-bit eMMC 5.0 line-up, Samsung has extended its 3-bit NAND business from SSDs for data centers, servers and PCs to the entire mobile memory storage market. Samsung will continue to broaden its application of 3-bit NAND Flash memory by developing higher-performance and higher-density solutions, as well as strengthening the competitiveness of its memory business.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Inland Professional SATA III moves to 2nd place at Amazon
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MoonQuest comes to Steam Early Access 7 years later
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit