NVIDIA Enables The World's First $99 HD Mobile Internet Device
NVIDIA Tegra Brings Full Internet Experience to Always On, Always-Connected Devices
MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS 09-BARCELONA, SPAIN- FEBRUARY 16, 2009- Today's users want an always-connected device for social media applications such as Facebook and YouTube, as well as great multimedia performance for recording and watching HD movies and videos on the go.
NVIDIA Corporation, the inventor of the graphics processor, today introduced a new platform, based on the NVIDIA® Tegra 600 Series computer-on-a-chip that enables a $99, always-on, always-connected HD mobile internet device (MID) that can go days between battery charges.
This platform will enable OEMs to quickly build and bring to market devices that carriers can offer for as low as $99 -bringing broadband connectivity and all of the Web's HD content to the masses.
"Mobile internet devices have evolved to provide consumers with the performance and connectivity required by today's lifestyle," said Michael Rayfield, general manager of the mobile business unit at NVIDIA. "Until now, consumers could get just another 'gadget' with limited functionality or a PC that's not 'always on'. A Tegra-based platform combines the best of both worlds."
The Tegra MID delivers:
- 720p and 1080p video playback
- Days of use between charges
- Full Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity
- Optimized hardware support for Web 2.0 applications for a true desktop-class internet experience
- A complete software solution including Microsoft Windows Embedded CE OS, application viewers, full Internet browser, UI framework, board support package (BSP), software development kit (SDK), Web mail client, and more
"The next generation of smart, connected, service-oriented devices are centered around rich multimedia experiences and enhanced functionality," said Mukund Ghangurde, Director, CE and Consumer Product Management at Microsoft Corp. "We are pleased to collaborate with NVIDIA to develop platform resources that assist OEMs in quickly bringing these new devices to market."
In addition, NVIDIA partnered with ST-Ericsson to add 3G communication capability into this new platform, allowing for seamless connectivity, worldwide.
"ST-Ericsson together with NVIDIA have developed a Microsoft Windows Embedded CE implementation using the ST-Ericsson U335 and the NVIDIA Tegra which is ready for customer design development," stated Jörgen Lantto, Chief Technology Officer, ST-Ericsson. "This solution takes advantage of the high volume, IOT tested and proven U335 modem solution together with NVIDIA which takes multimedia performance to a new level."
ICD, a leading consumer ODM, also announced support of the new class of devices enabled by this new platform.
"ICD has long believed that there will be a new generation of innovative connected devices. Designing these devices around the Tegra platform will bring carriers an amazing level of functionality at prices as low as $99," said David Hayes, President and CEO of ICD.
About NVIDIA Tegra
NVIDIA Tegra is the industry's first single-chip computer capable of the rich high definition and internet experiences we've come to expect from our PCs, but on small pocket type devices. NVIDIA Tegra is smaller than a US dime (10-cent piece), designed from the ground up to enable the "visual PC experience" on a new generation of mobile computing devices while consuming the smallest amount of power.
NVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA) is the world leader in visual computing technologies and the inventor of the GPU, a high-performance processor which generates breathtaking, interactive graphics on workstations, personal computers, game consoles, and mobile devices. NVIDIA serves the entertainment and consumer market with its GeForce® products, the professional design and visualization market with its Quadro® products, the high-performance computing market with its Tesla products and the handheld, mobile market with Tegra.. NVIDIA is headquartered in Santa Clara, California and has offices throughout Asia, Europe, and the Americas. For more information, visit https://www.nvidia.com.
Latest News Posts
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- Microsoft make 'positive changes' for Xbox at E3 this year
- Phison's E12 controller featured at CES 2018
- Toshiba's new SSD line-up featured at CES 2018
- AMD hit with class action lawsuit over Spectre and Meltdown
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series