JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, the global leader in the development of standards for the microelectronics industry, today announced the availability of a new standard for Wide I/O mobile DRAM: JESD229 Wide I/O Single Data Rate (SDR). Widely anticipated by the industry, Wide I/O mobile DRAM is a breakthrough technology that will meet industry demands for increased levels of integration as well as improved bandwidth, latency, power, weight and form factor; providing the ultimate in performance, energy efficiency and small size for smartphones, tablets, handheld gaming consoles and other mobile devices. JESD229 may be downloaded free of charge from the JEDEC website here.
Wide I/O mobile DRAM enables chip-level three dimensional (3D) stacking with Through Silicon Via (TSV) interconnects and memory chips directly stacked upon a System on a Chip (SoC). The standard defines features, functionalities, AC and DC characteristics, and ball/signal assignments. It is particularly well-suited for applications requiring extreme power efficiency and increased memory bandwidth (up to 17GBps). Examples include 3D Gaming, HD Video (1080p H264 video, pico projectors), and running multiple applications simultaneously. Wide I/O offers twice the bandwidth of the previous generation standard, LPDDR2, at the same rate of power consumption.
Sophie Dumas, Chairman of the JC-42.6 Subcommittee for Low Power Memories, said, "High performance mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets require high bandwidth and density, driven by demands for improved performance." She added, "JEDEC's JC-42.6 Subcommittee is pleased to provide a solution to this industry need with the publication of JESD229 for Wide I/O mobile DRAM, which will support the high resolution display, high quality graphics and multi-tasking capabilities required by device end users now and in the future."
Latest News Posts
- Shenmue III release date finalized
- Amazon kills 20% game pre-order discount, offers $10 credit
- Devil May Cry 5 gets stylish new gameplay and release date
- Battlefield V's low pre-orders could hurt EA, says analyst
- Everspace will take flight on the Switch in December
- Z87 pro4 bios setting not sticking
- P9X79E-WS Giant Headaches
- EVGA Z370 Classified K (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI-OP Motherboard Review
- Buy (30) Apple iPhone X $8,970 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada