The 'Best-of-the-Best' Supercomputers Leverage AMD Opteron Processors
- AMD Opteron processors are in more of the 20 highest-performing supercomputers on the Top500 Supercomputer Sites list than any other processor -
The Cray "Jaguar" supercomputer based on Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors at Oak Ridge National Labs
Hamburg, Germany - June 25, 2009 - At the International Supercomputing Conference, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that
AMD Opteron processors continue to power many of the highest-performing supercomputers in the world, including the top two overall.
AMD Opteron processor highlights from the latest Top500 Supercomputer Sites list include:
For the third straight time, the AMD Opteron processor helps power the number one "Roadrunner" supercomputer;
The Cray "Jaguar" supercomputer based on Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors at Oak Ridge National Labs is number two;
AMD is utilized in nine of the top 20 supercomputers, more than any other processor provider;
Four of the top 10 supercomputers use AMD Opteron processors;
The AMD Opteron processor powers 20 Cray supercomputers, including six in the top 25;
The recently launched Six-Core AMD Opteron processor (formerly code-named "Istanbul") has already appeared in two Cray XT5 supercomputers;
The top two academic research supercomputers are based on Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors - "Kraken" at the University of Tennessee is number six and "Ranger" at the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) is number eight.
The semi-annual Top500 Supercomputer Sites list determines its rankings based on the LINPACK benchmark. Recently, Advanced Clustering Technologies published LINPACK scores based on the Six-Core AMD Opteron processor which demonstrate a remarkable cost-per-GFLOP of $35.21.
Photos of NICS Supercomputer
Latest AMD Opteron Processor Benchmarks
@Work Blog Post from John Fruehe
Video from Cray discussing the benefits of "Istanbul"
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Latest News Posts
- Amazon Prime price will increase to $119 in May
- Pokemon Switch RPG listed as 2018 or later
- Nintendo sold 15 million Switch consoles in FY2017
- Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima to step down
- Bandai Namco release 1080p New Gundam Breaker screenshots
- ASUS STRIX H370-I GAMING (Intel H370) Motherboard Review
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- GA-X79-UD3 NVMe
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit