Synology® Launches the New 4-Bay Disk Station DS409 for Home to Corporate Workgroup Users
Taipei, Taiwan-June 22, 2009-Synology® Inc. today launched the DS409, a new 4-bay Disk Station, appealing to users from home to corporate workgroups who demand larger capacity, reliability, stability and robust features.
The DS409 is equipped with 1.2 GHz CPU, 256 MB DDRII RAM, one Gigabit LAN port, two USB2.0 ports and one eSATA port. The capability of supporting 2 TB hard drives enables the DS409 to hold up to 8 TB of storage capacity with RAID 0 or JBOD configurations. The cable-less design of the DS409 delivers hassle-free installation and enhances system reliability and stability. With no data cable required, the installation of hard drives is extremely easy.
"There's growing emphasis on power saving, and the DS409 is designed to follow this trend," said Rosiel Lee, product manager of Synology. "Under normal operation with four hard drives installed, the DS409 only calls for 42.9 watts which is far lower than the power consumption of average PC servers. The unique scheduled power on/off function and HDD hibernation further minimize power consumption."
The built-in disk holder of the DS409 was thoughtfully designed, making the DS409 compatible with both 3.5" and 2.5" hard drives. Once 2.5" hard drives are deployed, the smart fan design keeps the DS409's fan off under normal operation and spinning up at a very low speed only when needed, resulting in reduced power consumption and vibration, together with increased MTBF and shock tolerance.
The award-winning system software, Disk Station Manager 2.1 provides cross platform data sharing, Windows ADS integration, sophisticated FTP server, business mail server, corporate surveillance and flexible storage management. The provision of several backup alternatives, including Encrypted Network Backup, Local Backup and Desktop Backup and RAID 1/5/6 options, safeguard critical business data. The upcoming Disk Station Manager 2.2 will release it's beta in July with the official release in September, bringing more security and backup features. A built-in firewall secures the DS409 with customizable security rules. Mac users will be able to use Apple Time Machine as a backup application to back up their critical data to the DS409.
Being eco-friendly and feature-rich does not compromise the DS409's performance. "Our laboratory test results show that when configured as RAID 5, the DS409 reaches 34 MB/Sec in Windows upload speed and 47 MB/Sec in download speed," added Lee. In brief, the DS409 provides users a reliable solution to share and back up data and ensures an optimal price/performance ratio.
The DS409 is now shipping.
Synology at a Glance
Founded in 2000, Synology is a young and energetic company dedicated to developing high-performance, reliable, versatile, and environmentally-friendly Network Attached Storage (NAS) products. Our goal is to deliver user-friendly solutions and solid customer service to satisfy the needs of businesses, home offices, individual users and families.
Latest News Posts
- Expert opinion: the best online privacy tool (sponsored)
- 10 new minutes of Anthem gameplay: boss fight, story & more
- FoxNext chooses the Nintendo Switch for Alien: Blackout
- Fire Emblem characters return in Smash Bros. Ultimate event
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 5 million units in 1st week
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Trailer shows the challenges of Etrian Odyssey Nexus
- Team Jolly Roger Announces launch Date For Real-Time Space-Ballistic Tactics Game 'Worbital'
- Music Card Game Upstart WOWs Top Musicians Worldwide with Their First Product
- Stardock Announces Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution Expansion
- Zerouno Games: Use your two neurons with Bleep Bloop. Launch Trailer Available