Acer Joins Open Patent Alliance to Advance Mobile 4G WiMAX Innovation
Addition of First Global PC OEM to Boost Global WiMAX Wireless Internet Broadband Adoption
SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 11, 2009 - Further advancing mobile WiMAX worldwide, Acer Inc. (TSE: 2353) has joined the Open Patent Alliance (OPA), a group dedicated to offering intellectual property rights (IPR) solutions that support the development and widespread adoption of WiMAX. The first global PC OEM board member, Acer will help the proliferation of WiMAX technology, devices and applications around the world.
The OPA was formed in June 2008 by members of the WiMAX ecosystem. Acer joins current OPA members Alcatel-Lucent, Alvarion, Cisco, Clearwire, Huawei Technologies, Intel Corporation, and Samsung Electronics to foster an ecosystem focused on broader choice and competitive equipment and service costs for WiMAX technology, devices and applications globally.
"We are proud to welcome Acer to the OPA. Adding their voice further strengthens the support for an innovative and open WiMAX ecosystem," said OPA President Yung Hahn. "Taking a collaborative approach to IPR issues, the OPA can continue to foster greater WiMAX innovation, collaboration and competition. The OPA is excited to expand the reach of the 4G WiMAX ecosystem to include non-traditional companies like Acer - a leading innovator on the cusp of the computing/cellular convergence revolution."
Today, Acer offers several embedded-WiMAX notebooks and netbooks from the Acer Aspire and Acer TravelMate lines around the world.
"Acer has focused on delivering state-of-the-art, innovative PCs to consumers since 1976," said Jim Wong, senior corporate vice president and president of IT Products Global Operations, Acer. "Consumers today want longer battery life, thin and light, innovative form factors with great processing and communications technology at affordable price. As the first global PC OEM to join the Open Patent Alliance, we hope to lead the charge in bringing several devices that harness the power of WiMAX wireless broadband technology to the hands of consumers worldwide."
For more information, visit the OPA Web site at https://www.openpatentalliance.com.
Latest News Posts
- Crytek starts sign-ups for Hunt: Showdown closed Alpha
- Windows 10 updates fix bricked AMD-powered PCs
- Activision CEO to leave company
- AI could one day fuel in-game microtransactions
- Playground Games making new Fable, sources say
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series