Jennifer Raye has just launched her new angst shmup video game, Imperishable Memories
- Solo project from the developer of transgender-feelings game Boa Retina, a Kotaku Indie Pick of the Week!
- One year in development, helped by a successful Kickstarter campaign.
- An angsty, narrative-driven, shoot-'em-up game with an enemy throwing mechanic.
- Hour-long story about coming to terms with regretful mistakes and gaining the strength to move on, little by little.
- Features an art style that combines flat marker drawings with low poly 3D models.
- Available on itch.io for PC, Mac, and Linux for $8.
After years of regret and inner turmoil, Roy decides to return to Atherus, a world bound by his memories and creative expressions. He hopes to find answers, but one of his most toxic creations, a stylish silver-haired being named Thanatos, has taken over and integrated himself into the structure of Atherus, bringing about terrifying change to the world. Along the way, Roy will meet several of his old characters, such as a flying tentacle monster, a depressed bee, and an angry pink-haired girl in a low-poly dress, all of them cold and desperate from years of isolation and mental anguish.
You control Roy as you shoot oncoming enemies, collecting power-ups, and dodging waves of bullets, but additionally you can pick up enemies, and throw them at other enemies. Hitting multiple enemies at once with a single enemy will reward you with tons of bonus points! Imperishable Memories also features a disturbing blend of flat hand-drawn visuals with low-poly 3D models to make these dreamy nightmares come to life!
Jennifer Raye is an indie developer based in Austin, TX who has been developing games for over 9 years, ranging from Atari 2600 homebrews, FMV claymation games, and arcade-horror trash collecting games. Her last project, Boa Retina, documented her difficulties with coming out as transgender. It was developed as part of the Juegos Rancheros Arcade of Anything Artist Residency.
itch.io page: https://jenniferraye.itch.io/imperishable-memories