Micron Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:MU), a leading memory and storage provider, today announced with Rambus Inc., Northwest Logic and Avery Design, their efforts to deliver a comprehensive solution for GDDR6, the world's fastest discrete memory. This first-of-its-kind solution would enable GDDR6 use in advanced applications such as high-performance networking, autonomous vehicles, artificial intelligence and 5G infrastructure.
Comprehensive solution including memory, PHY, Controller and Verification IP for ASIC and FPGA to enable GDDR6 adoption beyond graphics
Prior generations of GDDR memories, enabled by GPU vendors, were focused exclusively on the graphics market. While this allowed graphics and game console designs to take advantage of the significant performance advantage offered by GDDR, other applications could not because the necessary building blocks were not available.
This comprehensive solution brings together the unique contributions of each company to solve that problem, extending the reach and benefit of GDDR6 well beyond its traditional graphics market. The solution would include:
- GDDR6 Memory (Micron)
- GDDR6 PHY (Rambus)
- GDDR6 Controller (Northwest Logic)
- GDDR6 Verification IP (Avery Design)
Targeting up to 64GB/s, GDDR6 brings a significant improvement over the fastest available DDR4. This unprecedented level of single-chip performance, using proven, industry-standard BGA packaging provides designers a powerful, cost-efficient and low-risk solution using the most scalable, high-speed discrete memory available to the market.
For more information, visit https://www.micron.com.
"With our GDDR6N for Networking announcement at the Linley Processor Conference last October and considerable interest from automotive customers, Micron continues to leverage our extensive experience and leadership in graphics memory," said Tom Eby, senior vice president and general manager, Compute and Networking Business Unit at Micron. "This solution promises to unlock GDDR6 performance for a new wave of exciting and innovative products."
"We are excited to work with our memory partners to deliver the best possible GDDR6 memory solution. Initially designed for high-performance graphics, the high bandwidth delivered by GDDR6 makes it ideal for other data-intensive applications like AI, ADAS (advanced driver assistance systems), and high-speed networking," said Luc Seraphin, senior vice president and general manager of the Rambus Memory and Interfaces Division. "Leveraging nearly 30 years of experience in high-speed interface design, we are proud to be the first IP provider to offer a PHY solution for GDDR6 and continue our position on the leading edge of industry standards."
"Northwest Logic's is adapting its widely used, silicon-proven Memory Controller solution to support GDDR6 memory. The fully configurable, high-performance GDDR6 Controller will be fully integrated, verified and delivered with the Rambus GDDR6 PHY enabling customer to quickly and reliably create GDDR6 designs," said Brian Daellenbach, president of Northwest Logic.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit