Today, Opera has showcased its first ever concept browser, codenamed Opera Neon.
Today's web browsers are getting dated
"Web browsers of today are basically from the last millennium, a time when the web was full of documents and pages," says Krystian Kolondra, Head of Opera browser. "With the Opera Neon project, we want show people our vision for the future of the web."
Since it's inception twenty years ago, the internet has become an essential part of our lives. Every day, billions of people access it using their favorite web browsers. But the internet keeps changing, and so must the browsers.
In the past year, Opera has stepped up the game for browsers, introducing novel features such as free VPN and native ad-blocking, but the company has realized it's now time for someone to properly challenge the browser industry.
What is Opera Neon
Opera Neon is a concept browser built from the same browser engine as the Opera browser; it's designed to allow users to focus on the most important part of the internet: the content. Opera Neon will provide users with fun ways to interact with web content, including the ability to drag and push things around, and even to even pop content out from the web.
A completely new user interface debuts in Opera Neon. It includes:
- New start page using users' current desktop background image.
- A left sidebar with video player, image gallery, and download manager.
- A new visual tab bar on the right side of the browser window that makes it easier to distinguish between tabs.
- An intelligent system that automatically manages tabs; like gravity, frequently-used tabs float to the top, while rarely-used tabs will sink to the bottom.
- A completely new omnibox, supporting top search engines and open search.
Also, new ways of enjoying web content have been added:
Video pop-out, which lets users to watch videos while browsing other web pages.
Snap-to-gallery, which allows users to snapshot and crop any part of a web page and save to the gallery for later use.
A split screen mode which allows for two pages to be used simultaneously.
Opera Neon and Opera browser
Opera Neon is a concept browser, meaning a vision for the future of browsers. It will not replace the current Opera browser. However, some of its new features are expected to be added to Opera this spring.
Opera Neon is available for testing as a free download for Windows and Mac.
Watch the product video and the behind the scenes video.
With two decades of history, Opera has grown up, side-by-side, with the internet. From browsers, data managing and security apps, to news apps, we connect more than 350 million users and industry partners to the internet, giving more experiences, more data, more money saved, more ideas, more control, more content, and more of what they like. Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway.
Follow our news at http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- CD Projekt RED opens new studio to work on Cyberpunk 2077
- Tencent to publish Ubisoft's biggest games in China
- Vivendi cancels Ubisoft takeover, to sell all company shares
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit