GPU market share: NVIDIA commands with 80%, leaves AMD with 20%

NVIDIA commands with 80% of the discrete GPU market share, leaving AMD with just 20% and Intel... well... yeah. JPR's new Q2 2022 data sheds light.

GPU market share: NVIDIA commands with 80%, leaves AMD with 20%
Published Sep 5, 2022 9:18 PM CDT
1 minute & 39 seconds read time

We know that NVIDIA commands around 75-80% of the discrete GPU market share, but the latest Jon Peddie Research report notes that yeah... NVIDIA still owns the GPU market.

GPU market share: NVIDIA commands with 80%, leaves AMD with 20% 01 | TweakTown.com

JPR's latest report notes that add-in-board market share saw NVIDIA increase up to 79% of the discrete GPU market share in Q2 2022, up from 75% in Q1 2022, and up from 80% back this time last year in Q2 2021. AMD is back down to 20% of the discrete GPU market share, down from 24% in Q1 2022, but back to the same 20% that the company had in Q2 2021.

We also see that Intel has eaten that 1% left of the discrete GPU market share in the last couple of quarters, whereas Intel now has (probably less than) 1% of the GPU market share according to JPR data. This is the same as last quarter, but up from 0% (because Intel didn't have discrete GPUs then) back in Q2 2021.

JPR also notes that AIB shipments during Q2 2022 decreased from Q1 2022 by a rather large -22.6%, which is below the 10-year average of -9.7%. Total AIB shipments increased by 2.4% in Q2 2022 from last year, up to 10.4 million units, but down from 13.38 million units in Q1 2022.

NVIDIA saw its quarter-to-quarter shipments sinking by -19.1% but they increased by 3% from last year... their total GPU market share is still at a "dominant" 79.6% in Q2 2022 says JPR. AMD on the other hand had its quarter-to-quarter shipments really sinking down by a much worse -34% and from last year, the company saw a decrease of -5% or so.

Quick Highlights

  • JPR found that AIB shipments during the quarter decreased from the last quarter by -22.6%, which is below the 10-year average of -9.7%.
  • Total AIB shipments increased by 2.4% this quarter from last year to 10.4 million units and were down from 13.38 million units last quarter.
  • AMD's quarter-to-quarter total desktop AIB unit shipments decreased -by 34.0% and decreased by -5.0% from last year.
  • NVIDIA's quarter-to-quarter unit shipments decreased -by 19.1% and increased by 3.0% from last year. NVIDIA continues to hold a dominant market share position at 79.6%.
  • AIB shipments from year to year increased by 2.4% compared to last year.
Buy at Amazon

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10GB GDRR6X (RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10G LHR)

TodayYesterday7 days ago30 days ago
$752.99$752.99-
* Prices last scanned on 9/26/2022 at 9:39 pm CDT - prices may not be accurate, click links above for the latest price. We may earn an affiliate commission.
NEWS SOURCE:wccftech.com

Anthony joined the TweakTown team in 2010 and has since reviewed 100s of graphics cards. Anthony is a long time PC enthusiast with a passion of hate for games built around consoles. FPS gaming since the pre-Quake days, where you were insulted if you used a mouse to aim, he has been addicted to gaming and hardware ever since. Working in IT retail for 10 years gave him great experience with custom-built PCs. His addiction to GPU tech is unwavering.

Newsletter Subscription

    Related Tags

    Newsletter Subscription
    Latest News
    View More News
    Latest Reviews
    View More Reviews
    Latest Articles
    View More Articles
    Partner Content
    Advertise With Us