Death Stranding is a success with 5 million copies sold combined on both PlayStation 4 and PC, but the game didn't hit those numbers nearly as fast as other popular first-party PlayStation games.
Kojima Productions today announced Death Stranding has sold over 5 million copies on the PlayStation Store, Steam, and on store shelves. The PC version of the game also made 505 Games $27 million in 2020.
"With Death Stranding being the first title developed out of Kojima Productions, from a sales perspective, it has performed quite well. As of March 2021, Death Stranding has sold through over five million units worldwide on PlayStation 4 and PC," Kojima Productions publishing lead Jay Boor tells GamesIndustry.biz.
Read Also: Death Stranding PC Review: Phantasmic Voyage
The Death Stranding numbers are impressive, but the game didn't sell as fast as other key PlayStation games. Death Stranding took 499 days (November 8 release to March 2021) to hit 5 million sales. Right now Uncharted 4 leads the pack with 8.7 million copies sold in its first 226 days.
Here's a quick comparison of how long certain first-party games took to achieve multi-million sales. Also remember that Sony's first-party game sales charts are woefully outdated and these figures don't represent current numbers.
- Uncharted 4 - 226 days to hit 8.7 million sales
- Ghost of Tsushima - 249 days to hit 6.5 million sales
- Marvel's Spider-Man - 325 days to hit 13.2 million sales
- Death Stranding - 499 days to hit 5 million sales
- Horizon Zero Dawn - 672 days to hit 10 million sales
- > NEXT STORY: Mortal Kombat franchise is now the best-selling fighting series
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Final Fantasy 1-6 Pixel Remasters could come to consoles later